rrawhide's Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Hi Appleman

Went to Lowes and bought a 5 gal Flame Seedless and 1 gallon also a 5 gal Thompson Seedless and a 1 gallon. These are for momma. The 1 gallon size is a 2 year old and the 5 gallon size is almost 5 feet tall. (don't know how old) They are already planted on a driveway fence so hope they will be okay there. I also stopped to see my friend Paul from Deparo Vineyards (6 miles away) and he said that I could take all the cuttings I wanted from the syrah and merlot grapes. Question - how long to cuttings take before you plant in ground? Can you go directly or should you make kinda a mini-hothouse for awhile? Can they be planted this year or should I wait until fall to start the cuttings? It looks like I may be able to have 2 rows about 65 feet long and maybe have 8-9 vines per row. I guess that I will use the syrah and merlot since they will be free. He also gave me his left over wire to use. Score!!! Now, I just have to get it ready and do some 'critter' control ie: rabbits, ground squirrels and gophers. Anyway, thanx for your help.

I'll try to get some pictures going too!

rrawhide

I am glad you got some table grapes started. Now you can plant some wine grapes with a clear conscience!

Before you decide to take cuttings, talk to you friend. Ask him what rootstock his vines are on. As far as I know MOST vines are grown on rootstock material - not bareroot. If you make cuttings and plant them, that gives you bareroot vines. The problem with vinifera grapes anywhare is they have no resistance to grape phyloxxera - an insect pest responsible for wiping out the grape industry in Bordeaux France in the 1800s and devastating the California grape industry a few decades ago. Unless you are in a truly phyloxxera free zone, I wouldn't waste years of time and a lot of money on free cuttings. Thank him for offering, but unless his are bareroot, shy away from the deal. It would be a lot cheaper to buy 15 vines at under 10 dollars each than to waste years of time only to have the vines die in about 3-4 years- and then you would need to start again. Maybe if your friend has access to a nursery he could get you some this year on resistant rootstock or next year.

Let me know what he says and if he is phyloxxera free(you should be also in that case) and I can help you out rooting some. I wish you good luck and great wine!

Hi all - yup - got the bug!!!! - just a little guy with lots and lots of legs.

well, I started getting things going today - - - - not too much room but
I can get 2 rows about 65' long. This is an area between the driveway
and the house - just kinda leveled it off and scraped the dry weeds
away. It has a slight slope towards the south and has full all day
sun. Lets try some pictures:

20080527_165758_1.jpg

starting

why do I not have permission to continue - - - well will post an come back and see what happens.

later

rrawhide

the prior picture was the 2 vines of thompson seedless and 2 vines of flame seedless for momma!!

20080527_195844_7.jpg

this is where momma (Ruth Ann) and I enjoy a glass of wine - once in awhile.!! Made the fountain and it sure has a great water sound - sure enjoy it!!!

20080527_200434_9.jpg

this is what we have going now - 11 batches - what's the matter with me?

question - when I went and bottled at the commercial winery a couple of weeks ago - something just hit me - they did not sanitize their bottles - just new glass right out of the case and bottles - is this ok or what?

hope you enjoyed our little vineyard - just wish we had some grape vines?

gotta work on this -

posts next - 3 per row

2 rows --

wire and irrigation and weed control - - -

maybe even some grapes this year --

we are trying - - - -

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are soooo hooked, Rrawhide!!
smiley4.gif

Congratulations!

I'm sure there is a 12 step program somewhere for those of us who have fallen!

Hi all

just curious about how many vines of each variety should one plant? How much yield should one expect per vine - I know approximately 50# makes a 6 gallon batch - I have room for about 30 red wine vines and have been thinking about the Italian and Scilian varieties. I do have access to syrah, metlot, ruby cabernet and zin here locally so thought I might try something different. Any comments would be appreciated.

thanx

rrawhide

rrawhide it depends on the variety, spacing and thiining(which depends on ripening ability dependant on locale) as to how much yield to expect. As a general rule of thumb figure on between 2 and four quarts juice per vine. Since you have a good warm climate, your vines will ripen more fruit than in a cold climate. It is always a juggling act between yield and quality of juice. Since I am in the north, varieties I choose would be different than varieties for you out there.

Appleman - - -

Well - have the end posts in and ready to dig holes!!!! Am thinking of using the 3 point post hole digger with a 9" auger. Probably can get down 2-3 feet. Then I thought I would add some nursery potting mix into the hole and mix with some of the regular dirt and then plant the vines in this mix. Is this a good way to do the holes or should I top dress the whole row and rototill into the soil? Only wanted to do the 'hole' thing to keep from making the weeds happy!!! I also only have room for 25 vines and so I think that the mix will be as follows: We kinda match the Southern Italy area climate - hot days and very dry with some fairly cool nights and we are at 1000 feet elevation. Anyway, 7 nebbiolo; 6 sangiovese;10 barbera and 2 merlot (for blending and softening tannins). I am using treated poles at the ends with notched steel line poles every 3 vines. The notched steel poles seem really great cause you can adjust your wire as necessary, if necessary. anyway, hopefully I am on the right track - -

now to find the vines - - - - - - -

also, a new guy I just met has some Alicante vines and he said I can have some cuttings later this year, if I want. He said that the Alicante is the only grape that the juice is naturally red when crushed and does not have to get color from the skins. Interesting - guess I am going to have to find some more vine roommmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Ruth Ann thinks that I am getting more 'corky' every day!!! maybe she is right but it is fun!!!!

rrawhide

Others out there near you use the post hole augers and mix the soil. I personally don't think it is necessary if you can provide water. If you mix potting soil in regular well drained soil, the vines prefer to keep theri roots in the better mix instead of spreading out good. You can't get much sandier or drier than my soil and the vines do well. You just need to give them water and a touch of fertilizer(easy now). That way the roots spread out more and make the plant hardier when it gets dry.

Watch the Nebbiolo. I have heard it can get overly vigorous. You better watch out or you will end up like me!

Latest posts

Back