Rocky's Zinfandel from grapes!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see if I still had it when it came to making wine from grapes and not kits or juice buckets. I purchased some Zinfandel grapes from a local produce supplier and after an excruciating hour or so of intense manual labor, I had my first batch in 20 years from grapes. Here is proof of my labors. Actually, I was making some home made grape packs! The juice was left over after packing 10 of the bags.

100_0735.jpg

100_0738.jpg

great way to make our own grape packs, did it last year.
How many lbs do you place in the zip lock bags, or do you just fill it up.

Looks like a lug of grapes crushed (8 bags), right?

Rocky, I'm probably the only one on the forum but I would have believed you without your having to post the photos.
smilie.gif

My LHBS sells frozen grape packs like yours for I believe $12.00US a pack.

Bill,

and I think those are like 1/2 gallon; in case you consider making your own I think it is worth the cost for a 36lb lug, which runs for about less than $40 depends on varietal and name brand...it will be cheaper than the $12 price they have.

Hi Guys and thanks for the comments.

I got 10 bags and they were all about 2 lb. 10 oz. each. Nothing magic about that number except it was the amount that would fit in a quart freezer bag. I also got enough juice for about 5 each 750 ml bottles of wine. I paid $36 for the lug so I think it was a fairly good deal. I really wanted to get Cabernet Sauvignon but they were out and had another delivery due in a few days. As I say, at my age, I don't even buy green bananas so I took what they had. I have a WinExpert Selection (16 liter) Carmenere kit on tap and I think I will use two bags in it.

Love that "green banana" quip. I think its use should be restricted to those of us 70 and above.

27769982-vector-illustration-of-cartoon-old-man.jpg

Rocky - I have a question for you. These appear to still have quite a bit of juice in them. Could I do the same thing with the remains from the press? My wine club has a little more than a ton of Cabernet grapes coming in from Washington and I will have access after the press.

Dburling, I think that would probably work and you would get some benefit from it. However, if it were I, I would just scoop the wine skins out of the fermenter with a large strainer, let the juice that runs free run back into the fermenter and package the skins with some juice left in them. I think after pressing, you would get some benefit but not as much. When I did these, I stripped them into a 6 gallon bucket, mashed them manually with a potato masher and scooped them out with a strainer. There is a bit of juice left in them but that should be good. Just my opinion.

What I was planning to do and what I may do next time just for comparison was to put the mashed and strained skins into a large stock pot and cook out most of the water and then package them. We were getting company for dinner and my Bride needed the kitchen.

I did make my own grape pack too with some juice left in them . Just waiting for the right kit to come along .:b

IMG_20140929_235015.jpg

Latest posts

Back