Rocky Top's Scuba Scrounge Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky_Top

Reaction score
Several months ago Scubaman asked the question: Can you make a $5.00 gallon of wine? Scubaman was given loads of encouragement and questionableadvice. He did make a $5.00 gallon of wine. Here is the thred. http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6761&KW=scuba+wine

JWMINNESOTA started a batch of Bargin Basement wine. Just put what you have in the bucket. http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7036&KW=scuba+inspired

This is my go ata less than $5.00 wine:

I needed to start with a juice that I could get cheap or free. I have to stop at many stores in a day. Most banks, lumber yards and electrical stores have free coffee to drink. That got me thinking. You can make wine out of coffee. My Van needed atire patchso I pulled into a Goodyear store and helped myself to a gallon of coffee and a few containers of sugar.

HPIM0932.jpg

They did ask if I would like some free coffee while I waited. I had an empty one gallon jug in the vanfor justsuch an occasion.

HPIM0934.jpg

You would think that someone would ask me what I was doing?? ( ???I hope that man goes away soon?????)
HPIM0933.jpg

After getting home I checked the SG. It was 1.123. I had less than a gallon of coffee so I added water untill I got the SG down to 1.090. I should have just over a gallon in the bucket. I added 1 1/2 tps. of acid blend and 1/4 tps. of tannin.I pitched the yeast. Now I am just waiting for the bubbles. I am hopping for those scrubbing bubbles.
smiley36.gif

I used 1/2 a pack of yeast. So far I have50 cents in the yeast and say 25 cents in chemicals.
HPIM0935.jpg

mississippi mud said:
I bet that was a quick patch job so they could get you the heck out of their!!
smiley4.gif

We give them a combined total of about 700,000 miles of tire wear each year so they did not mind too much. I had over $2,000 in front end work done just last month. Ihad the secretary take the pictures. She said "I am not even going to ask! ..........Domen ever grow up?" No, I said. She just asked me to make sure there was a pot going when I left.

Here is another one that I want to try as well. I've heard it goes extremely well chilled with flavorings such as hazelnut, french vanilla or irish creme.......

I think that this is going to ferment fast. It has only had yeast in it for 10hrs. and it is blowing as many bubbles as a 6 gallon batch on the second or third day.
smiley20.gif
I am sure that coffee will make a good wine.
smiley4.gif
Jack Keller said not to add chocolate and it is best sweet. If I wanted to add mint how would I do that?

gaudet said:
Here is another one that I want to try as well. I've heard it goes extremely well chilled with flavorings such as hazelnut, french vanilla or irish creme.......

It is real easy to make. jack Keller would use brown sugar.

I just might use hazelnut I still have $4.25 left.
smiley36.gif

Sorry Northern Winos, Catch of the Day has been number 1 on my don't miss list, but the events that i'm guessing are soon to follow, may make this my new never miss.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!
smiley4.gif

Hey Rube a billy, Catch of the day is more for grown ups.
smiley24.gif

I like Racheal Ray. She is every mans dream. She is hot in a cute way and she can cook a great meal for a dime.
smiley27.gif

Back to the wine...... They say thatcoffeewine is a dessert wine. I was thinking that it was more of a breakfast wine......... I am sure that it would go well with ham and eegs and when the boss asks whats in the cup you can reply " It is coffee I swear"
smiley4.gif

How'd that line from the old Folgers (I think)commercial go? - "It picks you up and calms you down"

I'd say with caffeine and alcohol, this would pretty much describe the wine!
smiley36.gif

dragonmaster42 said:
How'd that line from the old Folgers (I think)commercial go? - "It picks you up and calms you down"

I'd say with caffeine and alcohol, this would pretty much describe the wine!
smiley36.gif

Cool......ItisFolgers. Thanks dragonmaster, I am going to find a way to use that on the label.

" Rocky Top's Scuba Scrounge Coffee Wine"...... " It picks you up and calms you down"

Thanks JWMINNESOTA, I am a long time fan of the Low Buget Vintners Club. I hope that I can live up to this honor. I am too cheap to send a self stamped envelope for the free club patch. And I am too cheap to enter any of my wines in the club wine competitions...... Wohh Hoooo !!, I am the newest member!!
smiley36.gif

Ohhhh Man!!!......... First day in the club and I have already been nominated forthe Cheap-oaward!!
smiley16.gif

What happened to "The best part of waking up is alcohol in your cup???"

I will have to think about that one. It could still be:" The best part of waking up is folgers in my cup" It would just has a new meaning.

I checked the SG yesterday and it was 1.015. I racked to a one gallon jug and tasted it. It still taste like coffee!! Well spiked coffee at least.

ferment.jpg

Rocky Top said:
gaudet said:

It is real easy to make. jack Keller would use brown sugar.

I just might use hazelnut I still have $4.25 left.
smiley36.gif

I meant to say just add it like you add creamer to your coffee and on the rocks. You can get the international liquid coffee creamers or the nestle ones whichever you prefer. Or just go to Cost Plus World Market to find different flavorings to add like a shot at a time to your beverage.

Posted Bygaudet--I meant to say just add it like you add creamer to your coffee and on the rocks. You can get the international liquid coffee creamers or the nestle ones whichever you prefer. Or just go to Cost Plus World Market to find different flavorings to add like a shot at a time to your beverage.

Ohh OK, I will try that. You can add as you go.

Latest posts

Back