RJ Spagnols RJS Winery Series Valpolicella (Italian) w/ Primit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mharris335

Reaction score
I just had a bottle two nights ago and the wine is 15 months old, in bottle for 9 months. I would say this sums up the way it tastes: Firm tannins on the palate embraced by concentrated notes of sweet chocolate and prunes. The finish is peppered with layers of dark fruit.

I gave a glass to my wife and did not tell her anything about the wine, but I told her to rate the wine and tell me how much I paid.She said it was a 8.5 out of 10 and it cost $20-$30.I then told her that it was one of my kit wines. She did not beleave me at first until I showed her the bottle.WE are kind of wine snobs and know what good wine taste like and how much it costs you in a store. This kit fits the bill of a good red that will compare to a $20 store wine. I am sold on the Winery Series after I also made the Super Tuscan (Italian) w/ Merlot skins and loved it almost as much. I think this kit cost me just over $5 a bottle to make. If you have never tried RJS Winery Series you need to. I also liked that it is good after 15 months. As the bottle was left open for a hour, it even got better with more fruit.

This is what Ive been pushing on people for awhile now along with Dean. I have not tried the Amarone in this kit though as I went the En Primeur route on that which has the grape skins and raisins and dear lord is it awesome. Im very glad that so far everyone who has tried these kits is extremely happy! I think its the biggest bang for the $ myself

Yep, you can now join the ranks with Wade and I as the un-offical RJS crew ;)

I want to join the RJS fan club, too. I'm a big fan of their Cru Select line, especially the Brunello kits. They are the only kit-maker offering that varietal, as far as I know. In 5 years of winemaking, I have made some 30 kits (I know that figure is low, but I started slowly), and have enjoyed the Brunello as much or more than all the other kits (frozen must batches have been even better) I have made.

i Just bottled my RJS winery series Cab Sav today and am thoroughly enjoying the half bottle that was left over.It is exactly 7 months old today and it sure goes down nicely even at a very young age.I have not made any other winery series kits to date but have made 2 en premiur kits and one plain cellar classic Grande Shiraz.The Grande Shiraz is 6 months old and is my wifes favorite early drinking red, i must agree with her because i am having a hard time laying off it as well.

Dan R

I'll know a little bit this month. I made the Super Tuscan last July, it's in the carboy and I'll bottle this month. I plan to drink it this fall/winter. I have snuck a taste and it is super good already. My next wine will be either Winery Series or En primeur. Is the En Primeur just as good as the winery series?

in a lot of cases, believe it or not, it can be better!

We had a party at our house and I opened up my bottle of Vapolicella. Everyone thought it was a $20-$30 bottle of wine. It was not the best wine at the party, but it was close. My wine is only 17 month mark. Some people brought $50 bottle of Calf Cab, but mine was close behind them.

All the Winery Series are excellent and Ive only had the EP Amarone and it is awesome.

Latest posts

Back