WineXpert RJS complete fermentation in primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I know there was some discussion regarding this topic in another post but I wanted to share some info on the new directions/procedure RJ Spagnols is following with their wine kits since I am sure it will come up again and hopefully this will help provide answers before the questions..

RJ Spagnols has changed their kit instructions regarding leaving the batch in the primary under a sealedlid with an airlock until the SG drops below 0.998 orbasically until the fermentation is complete. This is quite different than the Winexpert instructions that tell us to transfer from the primary to a secondary carboy when the SG reaches 1.010.

I wanted to get the real story so I e-mailed RJS this morning to ask why the change since their instructions were basically the same as Winexpert before the change.

Here is my question to RJS:

Could you please explain the reason or reasons that your kit instructions have changed in regards to leaving the wine completely ferment to a SG of 0.998 or less in the primary fermenter before transferring to the secondary which is different than most other manufacturer's instructions. I have read that it helps with degassing and would like the know the correct answer from RJS.

Response from RJS:
Hi Scott

We removed the secondary fermentation (day 6) because we changed clearing agents from isinglass to superkleer (D1/D2) and with Superkleer you have to have well degassed wine for the wine to clear. To get degassed wine you can either stir it until your arm falls off or leave it in a primary fermenter with a large surface area so the carbon dioxide can gas off naturally over time, we opted for the later. Any other question please don't hesitate to ask.
I have my own thoughts on this procedure change but encourage everyone to follow the instructions that come with your specific kit. Edited by: masta

I will do it the uasual way since I wont be clarifying for awhile if I
even need to. I believe these instructions are designed for the people
who are in a rush to bottle! If I have any problems clearing it in the
future I'll know not to do it this way again but I dont think this will
be a good idea for someone who will be bulk aging!

From what I have read on this forum, it is not always a good idea to leave the wine sitting on the gross lees for too long. By leaving the must in the primary fermenter this is exactly what will happen - 20 days for fermentation, another 21 for clearing.

In addition (although not necessarily a huge point) there are some nice devices for managing the siphoning process assuming you are working from a carboy. How do you hold the racking cane still and let air in to balance presure using a primary, usually a plastic bucket with a large lid?

Like Wade, I'm going to draw my own conclusions.

I just dont want to transfer my wine over without the SO2 to blanket it from O2.

I have used these new instructions, and I must say that degassing was MUCH easier!! I have also been in contact with RJS about this, and they have run over 300 trials in testing this, and all were highly successful with no oxidation of the wine, nor with any adverse effects from the gross lees. EDIT: I should note that they have been testing these new procedures for some time now, so they could see the effects on wines with some age too.

Extended time on gross lees can give off flavors, this is true, but all literature I have read said that extended periods are to the tune of "months" and not days. I'm not saying to do this with all kits, but it sure works damn good on the RJS kits.Edited by: Dean

I dont know, maybe as my stubboprness subsides, I will do it there way which is probably the right way for this kit!

Hmm interesting change in instructions. I have always left my wine in the primary fermenter until it got below .999, in part, because it was hard to catch the wine at 1.010 and it saved me a racking. I never had any trouble with this method and now I see that the "offical" instructions have been changed to the way I have always done it. Most of my wine kits have been from paklab, and paklab kits have always used Kieselsol and Chitosan, as it's clearing agents.

Paklab however, to my knowledge, has not yet changed their instructions to the single fermenter method. They still instruct you to rack off of the primary when SG reaches 1.010.

JC

I wouldn't stress too much about the wine sitting on the lees. I am ALWAYS behind in racking and routinely a month between steps of a kit except for racking from the primary to glass. After I get the wine out of the bucket for some reason I am always behind. It is routine for mine to sit on the lees for a month.Except for the first couple kits I made, I have never done the steps on schedule. Something always comes up when I schedule time to rack wines.

Smurfe

Latest posts

Back