RJ Spagnols rj spagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlover

Junior
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has used there Cabernet kit and how is it compared to wine expert. A friend of mine uses them exclusively just looking for some unbiased feedback

It is a very dry wine and I left it dry for other people since I prefer
a sweeter wine myself but even I can enjoy a dry once in awhile. It is
awesome to slow cook a roast or stew in.

Edited by: wade

RJS makes a number of Cabernet kits! I've made the EP Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon (requires about 18 months aging to be good) which is totally AWESOME, and tastes like a typical $40+ california cab. I've also made Cellar Classic Winery Series (with grape skins) Cabernet Sauvignon, and that too is awesome, but only requires 12 months of aging to be great. Compared to the WE Cabs, these are more full bodied and dare I say it, much closer to commercial Cabs over the WE cab.

The one downside of these kits is that you must cold stabilize them, or they will throw bitartrate crystals! Then you have to decant with a strainer to get rid of the diamonds. 2 weeks in a fridge at about 32-34F does the trick nicely.

Thanks for the insight. When do you cold stabilize? before fermenting or after bottling?

Yep, cold stabilize before bottling! Otherwise, you get crystals in your bottles. You have to ferment, stabilize, fine, rack off the sediment, THEN put the whole carboy in a fridge turned onto maximum for 2-3 weeks. After that, filter if desired, and bottle. Then comes the hardest part...waiting for 1-2 years.

RJ makes some very nice products. I used to carry them, but switched to Winexpert for a variety of reasons, but quality was NOT one of the reasons. We still carry a few RJ kits and as we continue to grow the store, we will carry more and more.

Dean said:
RJS makes a number of Cabernet kits! I've made the EP Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon (requires about 18 months aging to be good) which is totally AWESOME, and tastes like a typical $40+ california cab. I've also made Cellar Classic Winery Series (with grape skins) Cabernet Sauvignon, and that too is awesome, but only requires 12 months of aging to be great. Compared to the WE Cabs, these are more full bodied and dare I say it, much closer to commercial Cabs over the WE cab.

The one downside of these kits is that you must cold stabilize them, or they will throw bitartrate crystals! Then you have to decant with a strainer to get rid of the diamonds. 2 weeks in a fridge at about 32-34F does the trick nicely.

Is this something I should be doing with myRJ Spagnols bergamais kit I recently got from george or does it just pertain to the cabernet? It is now in the carboy and is @ 65 degrees f. thanks
20100130_010505_100_1028_320x20.jpg

No, it's only really required with Cellar Classic Winery series and En Primeur Series of kits from RJS. The Winery Series only throws a little bit of crystals, so it can be optional, while the EP series throws a LOT of crystals, and should be pretty much mandatory.

I have an EP Pinot going right now, and it's in the final stages of fermentation. I do not have a fridge large enough to put a carboy in (in addition to my regular food), so I will have to rely on mother nature. However, I live in Missouri so by the time the fermentation is finished and the wine has been stabilized and cleared, I'm concerned that the weather may be too warm to cold stabilize outdoors.

Can I cold stabilize earlier in the process to take advantage of the weather?

after you stabilize and add the clearing agents, you can place it outside to get cold as it clears. I'd say your temps would be perfect for a 3 or 4 week cold stablization on the back porch or something. Just don't get it get past -18C

Thanks, Dean! That should work great. I don't think I'll have to worry about it getting colder than -18C, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

At what point do you guys add the Metatartaric acid. I have 3 EP's aging, 2 red and 1 white, and about to start another. I do have the ability to cold stab. before I bottle. So if you do that, do you need to add the acid........

Do whites get the wine diamonds too?

Whites get the diamonds much more than the reds! I don't add the metatartaric acid because I cold stabilize. All the metatartaric acid does is hold off the formation of the crystals for about a year. If you are going to use it, add it about 2 to 3 days before bottling.

This is very interesting. I did not know about the crystal situation on these kits.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to cold stabilize. Is decanting the only option or is there any other way to avoid these crystals? I was going to get a couple of the Winery Series kits (Cab and Zin) but am a little reluctant now...

Thanks,

Pete

Pracz, the winery series only drops very few crystals, and decanting is perfectly fine for them. Matter of fact, it takes about 12 months in bottle before they even start to form, unless you keep them at a perfect 52F, at which point about 6 months later, you'll get about 10 to 12 large crystals along the bottom of your bottle.

Latest posts

Back