RJ Spagnols RJ Spagnols Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just started a new batch of the RJ spagnols cellar classic riesling auslese on Friday night. The fermentation is going nicely. I noticed the RJ instructions don't say anything about about stirring during primary fermentation. I'm used to Mosti Mondiale, where they encourage stirring along the way. Do you guys stir the RJ kits during primary fermentation, or just leave them alone?

Thanks,
Wade

I will stir a high SG like a ice wine or a port as i don't want to have to try a restart. Other than that all punch down is a skin kit according to directions. The rest I leave alone then check SG on transfer or clearing time.

I like a once a day (gentle) stir in primary.

Me too! May not be absolutely necessary, but it gets everything up off the bottom and mixed up well, which is step one in preventing a stuck fermentation.

Me too! May not be absolutely necessary, but it gets everything up off the bottom and mixed up well, which is step one in preventing a stuck fermentation.
Not to disagree with Robie, but in my experience, stuck fermentations are often caused by cool/cold temeratures.

Steve

Not to disagree with Robie, but in my experience, stuck fermentations are often caused by cool/cold temeratures.

Steve

When someone writes they have a stuck fermentation, the forum's typical advice is something like - get the temperature up to a warmer level and give the wine a good stir. I am not going to argue about which step comes first.

Latest posts

Back