WineXpert Riesling and oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I'm finally back in town and can start another wine. My primary has been sitting empty for far too long.

I started a Vintners Reserve Riesling. The temperature is at 78.8 degrees so I'll wait for a couple hoursbefore addingthe yeast.

I have some American White Medium Toasted Oak that is sitting on the shelf doing nothing. I'm curious, has any one else added some oak toa Riesling? If so, what did you think of the results?

Or is this a dumb thing to do to a Riesling and I should be slapped for even thinking about it
smiley18.gif

Ive never heard anyone oak a Riesling but thats not to say you cant do
it, just remember that you may be voiding the warranty of the kit. I
would experiment with this if I were you. Maybe oak a gallon and put
the rest in a 5 gallon carboy.

I agree with Wade. Rieslings are usually never oaked, but that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. Let us know how it tastes if you decide to experiment!

Last year I lightly oaked a J Riesling with a lightly toasted Am White Oak. It added a very distinct interesting flavor and mouthfeel to it. I was very happy with the results and am surprised it isn't done more. If anything I think it pronounced the fruitiness of the wine. I haven't made one in a while, making more reds than whites, but wouldn't hesitate in doing it again.

Back