residue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I just read joeswine (dirty wine). I have a little different problem. I use sugar dissolved in water to sweeten. I have a sugar residuein one of my wines. I don't think I did anything different, I never hadthe problem before. It's bottled andI'm just going to leave it like it is. BUT, I don't want it to happen again.

Any ideas of what could have caused it. I know I dissolved it very good when I brought the water to a boil. I always use a good brand of sugar.

Jerry

A small amount of citric acid as in lemon juice helps to create a slightly different reaction and helps prevent re-crystallization.

Appleman, do you add citric acid to the simple syrup???

good morning jerry///if you simmered the water and the sugar has turned clear totally then your done,also speaking of rock candy if you do make simple syrup and placed it in a masson jar watch how the sugar starts to collect on the bottom and starts to become a rock ,as in candy ,i now the reason so no one need explain- just neat! oh i foregot when it clears turn up the heat a little more for about a min. or two and it will allow the sugar to become denser and will add better mouth feel to the wine ,remember to allow it to cool before useing,i use a cold water bath to bring the temp. down quickly (in the jars)//

I started to respond to this last evening but we lost power with the extremely strong winds.

I don't personally sweeten many wines so I just heat water and sugar, but the citric acid is reported to hel conversion. See the following:

<H2>Making Invert Sugar</H2>

Inverted sugar syrup can be easily made by adding roughly one gram of citric acid or ascorbic acid, per kilogram of sugar. Cream of tartar (one gram per kilogram) or fresh lemon juice (10 milliliters per kilogram) may also be used (1 tsp lemon juice per 1 pound sugar).

The mixture is boiled for 20 minutes, and will convert enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. Invert sugar syrup may also be produced without the use of acids or enzymes by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar.

All invert syrups are created by hydrolysing sucrose to glucose (dextrose) and fructose by heating a sucrose solution, then relying either on time alone, or time and the catalysis reaction of an acid or enzymes to speed the reaction. Commercially prepared acid catalyzed solutions are neutralised when the desired level of inversion is reached.

All constituent sugars (sucrose, glucose and fructose) support fermentation, so invert sugar solutions may be fermented as readily as sucrose solutions.

Latest posts

Back