Requisite introduction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I've been making wine and beer from basic kits off and on for the past 10 years. I've always enjoyed it but quite frankly had too many hobbies to really get a rotation going. I'd make a kit or two and then drink them! We just had our first child in December and as a result of our budgetary consultations my wine making is about to take off (to save money actually!). I enjoy all types of wine (well maybe not Mad-dog and I've had some bad experiences with Carlo Rossi) and have started some low cost Paklab kits with tweaks (Chardonnay, Cab, Sangiovese, and sauvignon blanc). I'm fine with palatable table wine and would like to get a quick supply built. Some reviews on the higher end kits like the Super Tuscan have got me thinking about the future as well but those will have to wait until summer time. Looking to start an Apfelwein this weekend and perhaps some Skeeter Pee/Dragon Blood in the near future. And then there's that jalapeno wine recipe...

Anyway this site has been most useful thus far and I look froward to contributing when I can.

Welcome aboard!!!
I am looking for a little help. I have just received a PakLab Kit from a retired wine maker, he thinks that he purchased it about 5 years or so ago. He does not remember ever opening the lid on the container, and by all appearances it is intact. The wine is Austranlian Cheraz -Sterile Opus V Must.
After this length of time, will it still be safe enough to process, or shuld I just discard it.
Thanks for the help, appreciated.

There is nothing unsafe about proceeding. No one would be surprised if your wine were sub-par, but you are in no danger of anything. I would recommend you start fermenting it and see what happens!

I am looking for a little help. I have just received a PakLab Kit from a retired wine maker, he thinks that he purchased it about 5 years or so ago. He does not remember ever opening the lid on the container, and by all appearances it is intact. The wine is Austranlian Cheraz -Sterile Opus V Must.
After this length of time, will it still be safe enough to process, or shuld I just discard it.
Thanks for the help, appreciated.
There is nothing unsafe about proceeding. No one would be surprised if your wine were sub-par, but you are in no danger of anything. I would recommend you start fermenting it and see what happens!
Thanks for the reply - I tried to contact PakLab, I think that they are out of business, none of the sites shown are active. I can give it a run, I guess after a couple of days in the primary, there should be some kind of indicatiion as to whether it will ferment or not, and if there are any strange odors. If so, I will dump it.
Thanks for the help, we will see what happens/
Take care

Latest posts

Back