Mosti Mondiale Renaissance, Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
I'm looking for a first "kit" wine to make next year.
I like Chilean Cab wine so I'm considering the following kit from the Toy Store.
RE104
Mosti Mondiale, Renaissance, Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean

Anyone tried this kit before?
I'd be curious to hear what you think.
I know the kit doesn't come with Crushed Grape Pack or raisins.

I'm guessing that this kit would not be considered a "High End" kit and wonder if it's worth the cost. Perhaps I should get my name on the next shipment of Red Mountain instead.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have never tried the Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean of the Renaissance series, but I have made others from that series and was pleased. I did add either a grape pack or raisins in each case. Surprised at George's stock, or lack thereof, of Cabernet Sauvignon's. From what he has listed and in stock and in the price range you are talking, I would go for the Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon of the Renaissance series, but I like a full bodied, oakey Cabernet. You may not.

Thanks Rock,

I'll be exploring more regarding kits, still need to move into making greater quantity before I get too serious and dealing with a quality kit.
I think in learning, making gallon batches of fruit and berry wines will help me appreciate making a fine kit later. I need to understand the process, sugar (alcohol), how acidity effects the process and taste, how to control fermentation with temperature and most of all patience.
I think it will become a lot easier once I establish some good habits and get to actually taste what I've created.

I like Chilean Cab for it's smooth but full body and the fact that it tastes great both alone and pared with breads, cheeses and salads. (And great price for a nice, several year old wine).

No doubt I'd also like to try a Yakima Valley kit as well one day. It would be great to find some semi-local sources for grapes/ juice since this is where I live.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Renaissance series, sounds like they are worth a try.
Have a great Holiday Season!

Oh timber, thats noit the way to think IMO. Quality is much more important then quantity!!! I know where you are going and the frame of mind but let me and the others tell you that you really want to get a few high quality kits going now to let them age and get a few cheaper ones also just so you dont drink the good stuff before its time! If your appy with the lower quality then OK but I wasnt at all and all the first batches I made just ended up being bottles to give away to the only few people who did like them or to cook with or to top up much much better batches with!

Totally agree with Wade. I would rather have a few bottles of really good wine than a lot of bottles of mediocre wine. I started off with a 10 liter Sangiovese kit and as Wade does, I use it for topping off reds and for cooking.

Hi Wade,

Quality is much more important than quantity!!!

I agree too and it makes perfect sense, my perspective was just that I would rather mess up a smaller quantity than a fairly expensive kit initially.

I will certainly be aiming for quality ... and will heed your advice.
get a few high quality kits going now to let them age

Kinda like fishin' ... can't catch no fish if ya ain't got your line in the water.
Those fine kits won't be aging unless I get them going. Point well taken.

Guess I'd better get to work, pick up a couple 6 gal. carboys and decide on what I'd like to savor a year or two down the road.

Thanks,

I have faith in you Dave and if you follow the directions, which are very straight-forward, you will have no problem. Kits are just about fool proof and you really have make a major error to mess them up.

I have no doubt that I will have some guidance if I need it with pulling off a first, kit attempt. If it's straight forward that will help, if the kit I choose doesn't happen to have a grape pack, I'll find one and add it or some yummy fat raisins.
A major error could, of course, happen but I'm gaining confidence in the process already. If I need help, I'm not too proud to ask for it ... and likely will.

Thanks,

Back