Red wine sediment not settling in carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forest813

Junior
Reaction score
I have a carboy of red wine from pure grape juice where the sediment is not settling in the carboy. It was started in late September, after fermenting for 1-2 weeks, I racked adding oak chips and racking it again in January adding metabisulfite to it. I always sterilize all equipment each time it is racked. Any ideas as to what may be the problem or how I can remedy the situation?

Time helps. It can take a while and dissolved CO2 does keep sediment in suspension. To assist and expedite degassing I'll warm it up to mid 70's as racking date approaches (this helps CO2 release - sorta like warm soda) then vacuum rack to the next carboy and adding potassium meta-bisulfite. Maybe vacuum rack 2-3 times each racking date to release as much CO2 as possible.

You can also use fining additives but if there's still significant CO2 there will be sediment left in suspension.

I have a chardonnay clearing right now that I aged on the lee's for four months and then degassed and racked off sediment and used finings - It's still taking about a month to clear and almost there. Time will do it and there's not much you can do to rush it. Once clear you should still leave it in the carboy for another three months till you get no dusting on the bottom after three months.

Cheers!
-Johann

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciate it.
Fred I am positive the wine hasn't cleared since it is not a dark colour when looking into it plus there is no sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

Johann you suggest adding potassium meta-bisulfite once it is racked to help release any CO2. Would I need to add meta-bisulfite each time I racked even though I may need to rack 2 or 3 times? I did add meta-bisulfite last time I racked. Also please explain the term vacuum racking?

Thanks

It seems like it's around 6 months after fermentation which is a long time for it not to be degassed. Are you sure it has not already cleared?
Fred I am positive the wine hasn't cleared since it is not a dark colour when looking into it plus there is no sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

Time helps. It can take a while and dissolved CO2 does keep sediment in suspension. To assist and expedite degassing I'll warm it up to mid 70's as racking date approaches (this helps CO2 release - sorta like warm soda) then vacuum rack to the next carboy and adding potassium meta-bisulfite. Maybe vacuum rack 2-3 times each racking date to release as much CO2 as possible.

You can also use fining additives but if there's still significant CO2 there will be sediment left in suspension.

I have a chardonnay clearing right now that I aged on the lee's for four months and then degassed and racked off sediment and used finings - It's still taking about a month to clear and almost there. Time will do it and there's not much you can do to rush it. Once clear you should still leave it in the carboy for another three months till you get no dusting on the bottom after three months.

Cheers!
-Johann
Johann you suggest adding potassium meta-bisulfite once it is racked to help release any CO2. Would I need to add meta-bisulfite each time I racked even though I may need to rack 2 or 3 times? I did add meta-bisulfite last time I racked. Also please explain the term vacuum racking?
Thanks

Thanks
Wine Pump | All in One Wine Pump This is what you can use to vacuum pump your wine. It will degass as it fills up. This is what most users will have and is a quality product.

Back