red wine bottles for white wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amytmock

Reaction score
I finally have my new wine racks all set up, but I've noticed that white wine bottles don't stack very securely (due to the tapered shape). I was wondering if anyone had experience using red wine bottles (straight shape) for white wine and if it will affect the wine in any negative way... Thoughts?

Amy good to see you back on here. I don't believe there is such a thing os red or white wine bottles but I may be wrong. I believe you talking about the difference of Burgundy and Bordeaux-shaped bottle. Like you I prefer the Bordeux bottles and I like the punted ones. They are a lot easier to stack and just a hair smaller in diameter. I am guessing you got a Sama Club rack? That is where I run into issues and just stack the boreaux on the bottom and the Burgundies on top. There will be no issues with you wine.

You scared me, Amy! I thought I was going to have to throw away all of my wine and start over since I've used whatever wine bottles I can get my hands on. :b

I finally have my new wine racks all set up, but I've noticed that white wine bottles don't stack very securely (due to the tapered shape). I was wondering if anyone had experience using red wine bottles (straight shape) for white wine and if it will affect the wine in any negative way... Thoughts?
I'll guess that you like Riesling and Gewurztraminer, because they often use long tapered bottles called Hock bottles.

If you go to a good wine store and study the bottles, you will get totally confused.

BTW, when I ran a store, one customer thought that bottles with a punt (dimple at the bottom) were red wine bottles, and flat bottomed bottles were for white (or maybe vice versa).

Steve

Well, I guess I could have said "traditional" white wine bottles... In any case, thanks for answering so quickly -- and sorry to scare ya Randy! No, I don't have the sams club rack. I actually made a couple of "X" racks and have them built in on either side of my fishtank (don't worry, they are bolted to the walls). I've attached a picture, though it was taken with my phone so it isn't all that great of an image.

Also, I'm very glad to be back. Just kind of busy lately, but I've been here more and more lately. No one seems to be in the chatroom anymore though!

2012-04-23_15-14-18_823.jpg

Latest posts

Back