Recommendations for a quick kit while the good stuff ages?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstan

Junior
Reaction score
I've been lurking around here for the past few months and you all are wealth of knowledge. This is my first post. I'm new to this hobby -- started my first kit about 3 months ago -- so I don't yet have a collection of wine that's ready to drink. So far I've made 3 kits: WE Selection International French Cab (the first kit I made -- started in March and is bulk aging); MM Ren Viognier (started in early April and just bottled); and a MM Ren Chilean Pinot Noir (just started last week). I want to give all of these the time they need before drinking them, but I'm getting impatient.

I'd like to crank out an inexpensive kit that will mature fairly quickly so I'll have something to drink and keep my impatience at bay. Any suggestions for a red kit that might fit the bill? My favorite wines are Cabs (especially big tannic ones), Nebiollos, and Pinot Noirs, though I don't imagine any of those varietals will be quick. Suggestions?

Island Mist - Blackberry/Cab or Blk Rasberry Merlot. Kinda' sweet, but adding 3# sugar in the primary to boost the ABV and they aren't bad. If you you do add the sugar, add 3mos to the timeline.

IME it don't get any quicker. As you know, 'Big and Tannic' doesn't match up with 'Quick'

If Island Mist isn't an option, I suggest [yellow tail] :) The Shiraz, Cab and Shiraz/Cab are pretty tasty!

Skeeter Pee is another option. It "aint" wine but sure is fun! Great quick drinker for the summer. Pour over ice and forget that you might be a wine snob for a while. There is nothing that I like more than a big bold Cabernet or a really hoppy IPA but when you need to make something quick, something that is drinkable and fun then you have to do a skeeter pee!
Enjoy!

Its very common to be impatient while starting off in winemaking & not having an inventory yet. Thats good because it means you're into it.
Italian immigrants usually start their wine in september/october and have the first taste (at least 1 gallon) at christmas time. So thats only 3-4 months. Of course they're using fresh grapes or fresh juice not kits. However since I moved to florida Ive been experimenting with kits. I have found that the Cellar Craft Sterling kits can be enjoyed in the same 3-4 months. They even come with grape packs to give the fresh pressed taste. For around $80-90 bucks you cant go wrong and the reds are tasty. I prefer the old vine zinfandel because its good quality and flavorful. If you're brave try Not using the sulfites or any of the additives besides oak that comes with the kit. In other words, treat it as a fresh juice and you'll be surprised at the results with only 2 rackings. Generally I bottle in 6 months with this method however like I said, you can enjoy it in 3-4 months. Salute.

jstan...

My standard recommendation for a quick to drink red wine kit is the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. When I ran a Ferment on Premises it was the most popular kit. Most FoP customers drink the wine very young, often right after bottling.

Two notes...

1. KRC Merlot - not one of the other varieties.
2. It will get better with age. I've got some bottles from 3 years ago. We quite like it.

Finally, any kit can be drunk young. However, it will improve with age, so you may not be getting your money's worth.

Steve

jstan...

Finally, any kit can be drunk young. However, it will improve with age, so you may not be getting your money's worth.

Steve

I told my wife MEN were like a good wine, they improve with age...SHE LOCKED ME IN THE CELLAR!!! :) :)
Rodney Dangerfield

Some red wines are meant to be drunk young, e.g. Beaujolais, but I have never seen a kit for that variety. You might try taking a few bottles from your current production and sample those. I realize you want to bulk age them and this will give you a means of comparing what they taste like young and aged.

Else, Cpfan's suggestion of the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot seems your best alternative.

I am in the same boat as you are! I jumped on a leftover special order WE Washington Meritage kit because I was reading from others on this board that it was an early drinker. It appears to be as I had one glass after stabilizing and it was on par with an $8 bottle of commercial wine. The downside is I think this will be a great mature wine. I may need to find something else to drink early! Perhaps I will bottle this batch at 90 days and only have a bottle or two a month. I tried the skeeter pee route and just don't really enjoy it. I'll be interested to see what others say and may follow your lead. I keep hearing that the first year is the hardest!

Some red wines are meant to be drunk young, e.g. Beaujolais, but I have never seen a kit for that variety.

GAMAY is Beaujolais's kit equivalent. Haven't made that one myself but I've heard it's a good early drinker. I have made RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Rosso Grande which was quite good early.

Last edited:
Have not made either but have seen many post here that have said the WE Trinity Red and WE Luna Rossa are both very good "early drinker" red wines.

The words "big and tannic" mean long waits to mature!

Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas here!

I really dislike sweetness in wine, so I don't think that mist kits are for me. Skeeter pee's an interesting idea. I've actually been thinking about making a small batch of this to see what all the buzz is about. Still, I expect that will be more of a nice afternoon summer drink and not really a replacement for wine. The Ken Ridge Merlot sounds promising as does a Beaujolais. FVW has two Beaujolais-style kits:

MM Vinifera Noble Gamay (http://finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=VN59) &
RJS Grand Cru Bergamais - Beaujolais (http://finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=24352)

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Thanks again for all of your great ideas!

-Jeff

GAMAY is Beaujolais's kit equivalent.
Actually as jstan seems to have already learned, Bergamais is the CHWTA name for Beaujolais. Not all kit companies use the CHWTA names though.

MM Vinifera Noble Gamay
RJS Grand Cru Bergamais - Beaujolais
I made the GC Bergamais kit for customers when I ran a Ferment on Premises. Can't really comment on it though.

The VN Gamay is described on the MM as full bodied. Would think that wouldn`t make it a quick drinking Beaujolais style.

Steve

Last edited:
Back