RJ Spagnols Reclcling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
smiley19.gif
I pigged up on a closeout @ a LHBS. I got spagnols,how do you pronounce that anyhow, juice buckets at $49.99 each.a riesling,a white merlot and a pinot noir .I found 2 to be a year old and 19 month for the white merlot. I emailed spagnol and their rep said they recommend using before 18 months but had no other remedys to offer.So i made wine,like a factory,one kit a week so as not to exaust my carboys.And there we were after a time i had about 90 bottles of wine.I was not satisfied with the flavors but thats not a new problem with new wine.Time did tell though as I didnt like any of them especially the w. merlot a year later.So now were past their second birthday the bottles of these,that i gave away havent all come back. Makes me think they didnt sell elsewhere either.So today is Tasting,bottle washing and recycling day.I have 11 gallons bulk aging mostly due to bottle shortage that will appreciate the glass windfall.This stuff isnt vinegar just flat,boring and plain.I'm converting it to a port wine adjunct but it's not a cost effective use.I've read of others who like spagnols kits but as for me, I dont suspect I'll do another.Got to go more sampling to finish.
smiley9.gif

the buckets you are referring to are most likely "Bolero" right? That's a RJS brand that is really crappy and is NOT indicative of their regular lineup of kits. Grand Cru International, Cru Select, Cellar Classic, and CC Winery Series, as well as EP are all much better than RJS "Buckets".

Thanks for the quick come back Dean. And yes you are completely correct.They were "Barolo". And they were crappy.Thank you for defining the issue

andy123 said:
Thanks for the quick come back Dean. And yes you are completely correct.They were "Barolo". And they were crappy.Thank you for defining the issue

"BOLERO". Barolo is a variety of wine.

I have no experience with the Bolero Riesling, Pinot Noir, and White Merlot, although I have no reason to think that they are crappy. I would have said similar quality to the original Grand Cru. The Bolero Pinot Grigio and Merlot are pretty good, although a touch pricy in comparison to Grand Cru.

Andy, you said "flat, boring, and plain". I would suggest that they were not degassed sufficiently.

Steve

I too have never done a Boleroas Ive heard they are a cheap kit with water already added so you didnt have to add water yourself. I dont really like any smaller kits by any manufacturer much at all.

If you haven't dumped them all out yet, try adding some different quantities of acid to them and then taste. If they taste flat the acid will change that. Taking a cheap kit to it's full potential is an art form.

Back