rebottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
welp for the first time, i did not test my PH on a wine i'd never made before, bottled 30 bottles, then tasted, tasted like flat crap, got my meter out calibrated it and there i set at 4,3, poured it all back into a carboy, adjusted to 3.6 and bottled, if i had a brain, it would rattle
Dawg

welp for the first time, i did not test my PH on a wine i'd never made before, bottled 30 bottles, then tasted, tasted like flat crap, got my meter out calibrated it and there i set at 4,3, poured it all back into a carboy, adjusted to 3.6 and bottled, if i had a brain, it would rattle
Dawg

Ugh, sorry you had to go through all that work. I don't even have a ph kit...when all you do is Dragon Blood, Skeeter Lime, and kit wines you don't worry about it ;)

Ugh, sorry you had to go through all that work. I don't even have a ph kit...when all you do is Dragon Blood, Skeeter Lime, and kit wines you don't worry about it ;)
correct, i hardly every use one, i mainly do country wines from scratch (fruits & berries, but my DDDB variant was flat and tasteless, after taking a couple months,yep i am addicted to at least some aging, i went a looking for why, seems blueberry and black raspberry, tend to yield a ph of in the 4's, of which i was in about dead center, after bringing it to 3.6 there is a extar sweet taste to it , now i like sweet but i sure hope with a few months aging that it will balance out some,
Dawg

Dawg, back in the day (eg, 500 years ago) , there were no PH testng kits.. what does your mouth say WRT acidity?

( 4.2 pH is flat tasting while, 3.6 is not flat and a little sweet? Sweet? What did you adjust PH with?)

Dawg, back in the day (eg, 500 years ago) , there were no PH testng kits.. what does your mouth say WRT acidity?

( 4.2 pH is flat tasting while, 3.6 is not flat and a little sweet? Sweet? What did you adjust PH with?)
triple acid blend all that i had around, i still have another 6 gal of the same and a 6 of 3 gal DDDB and 3 gallon strawberry, and yes most of my wines are done by taste by my nephew and i, my pallet is greatly impaired, since i have a tracheostomy, i have been intubated so many times that scar tissue has block my trachea completely ,, so when nephew is not around to help me with a extra opinion, and i do my wines as country as possible but i encouparate anything that reduces work, AKA, vacuum pump, drill to stir with, ect. yes i taste all the way thru, which allows me to tell how good my wine will be, i will make each one separate and bottle separate in the future,,, i do some blending from the start of ferment, that works very well, elderberry/blackberry, apple/pear, banana/apple/golden raisins, for most of my acids i normally use sargents yellow crabapples, but have been fighting now for 2 years ceder rust, other wise i would of used crabapple, ,
Dawg

Dawg
Dawg,

How did you adjust it?.......................Dizzy

Dawg,

How did you adjust it?.......................Dizzy
with triple acid blend, but only because i have no crab apples frozen, if you ever use crab apples cut into 4ths remove all seeds then freeze crab apples till needed, funny elderberries have strychnine in bark, leaves and fruit, and crab apple have cyanide in the seeds,but i've used for years and the old timers used long, long ago,
Dawg

with triple acid blend, but only because i have no crab apples frozen, if you ever use crab apples cut into 4ths remove all seeds then freeze crab apples till needed, funny elderberries have strychnine in bark, leaves and fruit, and crab apple have cyanide in the seeds,but i've used for years and the old timers used long, long ago,
Dawg
And I've read that you have to ingest a ton (possibly literally) of seeds / bark / leaves to be toxic.

And I've read that you have to ingest a ton (possibly literally) of seeds / bark / leaves to be toxic.
AMEN KCCam,,, correct and amen, but others on here want it explained, i have never removed seed one, and have aged 2 years solid on crap apple seed, shucks there's hemlock 600 yards from me, or you can go to walmart buy the right plant and have qurawry, take sap from the right plant add another common thing and have a explosive this PC crap is nuts if one is grown they should do their research :sm
Dawg ,

AMEN KCCam,,, correct and amen, but others on here want it explained, i have never removed seed one, and have aged 2 years solid on crap apple seed, shucks there's hemlock 600 yards from me, or you can go to walmart buy the right plant and have qurawry, take sap from the right plant add another common thing and have a explosive this PC crap is nuts if one is grown they should do their research :sm
Dawg ,
OK, now you’re scaring me. So how do you know that stuff? You don’t actually do that do you? And I don’t know what “this PC crap” is referring to.

OK, now you’re scaring me. So how do you know that stuff? You don’t actually do that do you? And I don’t know what “this PC crap” is referring to.
PC=politically correct,, they have what is called preppers now-a-days,, but long before that, we survivalist have been waiting and watching, not to mention my moms mom and her mom were full blooded cherokee, moms dad cheyenne, plus 1/8 comanche from dads side, so like i've said the lord has placed every thing one needs is in the woods and pastures, the more sinister stuff, survivalist, and no i am not evil, but i was a eagle scout whom's motto is, always be prepared, having knowledge is good, the only way knowledge can be bad is if the person that has it is evil, so no need to sweat it, i am a god fearing man, and to each their own, which means i have no problems with atheist or satanic's, i am comparable in my faith, others beliefs they will answer for,not i,
Dawg

Back