Raspberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make a lot of raspberry and NEVER do an f-pack. The key is to get the raspberries out after about 4 days. It's the seeds that make it bitter and then requires more aging. I make a raspberry mead that is to die for! A little elderberry with the raspberry to blend and then med toast oak is amazing as well.
You can sweeten and add acid to taste... AT THE END. Doing it by the numbers is not necessarily effective. The acid and sugar play off each other. A year with high acid will require more sweetening at the end to produce the same "perception" of sweetness. Vairous types of acid... AT THE END.... can enhance the wine. There is no hard and fast rule here, but as YOU like it. Play with a glass of "flat" tasting wine. Wet a toothpick and pick up that much of a single acid... or acid blend. Mix it in your GLASS of wine. You'll be amazed at how acid can enhance a flabby wine.

Debbie

I make a lot of raspberry and NEVER do an f-pack. The key is to get the raspberries out after about 4 days. It's the seeds that make it bitter and then requires more aging. I make a raspberry mead that is to die for! A little elderberry with the raspberry to blend and then med toast oak is amazing as well.
You can sweeten and add acid to taste... AT THE END. Doing it by the numbers is not necessarily effective. The acid and sugar play off each other. A year with high acid will require more sweetening at the end to produce the same "perception" of sweetness. Vairous types of acid... AT THE END.... can enhance the wine. There is no hard and fast rule here, but as YOU like it. Play with a glass of "flat" tasting wine. Wet a toothpick and pick up that much of a single acid... or acid blend. Mix it in your GLASS of wine. You'll be amazed at how acid can enhance a flabby wine.

Debbie
I agree with 4 days, I never thought about it but is what I do, I do F-PAC using 1# of berries and it adds a great nose to wine

About 4#/gallon is what the notes say. I'm working on a nearly 100% melomel now... I won't do that again... had a hard time starting it because of the low Ph. The yeast were probably stressed.

Debbie

Back