Raspberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbeem

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to wine making (18 gallons). I've just bottled a gallon of raspberry. It was very dry and somewhat bitter. The recipe I used said to age for at least one year. Can I expect the bitterness to abate? (I added 2 TBS of sugar prior to bottling)

Welcome aboard!!

Blackberries are in the medium level range for tannins - this could be what you are tasting. Yes - in time this will mellow out.

Malic Acid is also the dominant acid in Blackberries - this might also contribute to the taste - sweetening this can help to blend in with the acidity.

What was the TA/PH readings?

What yeast did you use? I like to use Lalvin 71b-1122 for my fruits that have high Malic Acid - this yeast will metabolize Malic Acid.

I hope you sorbated before you added the sugar ....

I always add an F-Pac with raspberry. Never had a batch of Raspberry make it a year so I don't know if it gets better. It it the favorite of all the wines I make according to the locals . They cant wait for more

Didn't test acid levels(don't know how). Used premium cuvee yeast and did K sorbate first. Thanks for all comments. Greg

Didn't test acid levels(don't know how). Used premium cuvee yeast and did K sorbate first. Thanks for all comments. Greg

Purchase and Acid Test Kit - this will allow you to measure you TA in the must and adjust accordingly. You might have a high TA.

Is acid testing done in the primary, secondary, just prior to bottling or at all three stages? I have added acid blend per recipes, but that must just be a guestamate? and testing more precise? Thanks

Is acid testing done in the primary, secondary, just prior to bottling or at all three stages? I have added acid blend per recipes, but that must just be a guestamate? and testing more precise? Thanks

I take an acid reading before fermenation and after i have stabilized the wine. I will adjust as needed.

Adding acid is the same as sugar - you shouldn't add it blindly - i would get the tools to measure it before adding.

Thanks Jon. I guess that will be the next step in evolution as a winemaker.

No problem - the hydrometer and the acid test kits are fairly cheap. I would go with a Thermohydrometer - has a built in thermometer to help you accurately adjust your SG or a given temp.

Hi gbeem,

Can you post your recipe? It would be more helpful if we knew what you did.

I have made raspberry wine from Welch's raspberry that came out very well and was not bitter nor needed to age for a year. So knowing what you did and what ingredients you use would give us a better idea on to tell you what you need to do.

Hey Julie, I used 48 oz frozen red raspberries,3.75 qts H2O, 2.25 lbs sugar. 1/2 tsp acid blend, 1/8 tsp tanin 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp pectic enzyme. SG was 1.08 and I used Red Star premium Cuvee. I had the berries smashed in a bag and removed them and racked after one week. Thanks for any advice. Greg

F Y I
3#'s is VERY low for one gallon. Did you add a f-pac? 2 tbls of sugar is nothing for backsweetening.

Tom is right you should have more berries so make an f-pac and backsweeten some more. Bring your gravity up to 1.000, taste and add until you are satisfied with the sweetness and remember that it will sweeten slightly more as it ages.

Now I am anxious to make another batch. Would 4 pounds be enough, and how do you make an F-pak?

Thanks

Thanks to all! A new batch will be underway as soon as my primary is available (mint tea fermenting now). I'm glad I found this site. Greg

Latest posts

Back