Raspberry Wine Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing about the effects of time in the can. That's exactly what the taste reminds me of.

It's been a busy summer up here. Fortunately, I've had some time for wine. Right now there's a green apple gerwestaimer kit, cranberry, 2007 cherry from the tree in the front yard, and a white zin kit waiting for enough time for me to get them in the bottle. Cranberry Fest is only about a month away in Three Lakes WI so there'll be another batch of cranberry to start after that.

what type of event is cranberry feat otherthan what the name emplys,any wine comps.............................................

Small town celebration of cranberry harvest. Crafts,art and lots of things made with cranberries. Cranberries for sale---the reason for my being there. Local winery Three Lakes Winery started about 30 years ago with cranberry wine and now makes several types of fruit wine along with some grape.

sounds like a great time- --been to many of those type of events......................................................................................

Thanks MontyFox for asking all those perfect questions. Just started my first wine from scratch (Blackberry) and I had all the exact same questions you asked. Therefore benefited from Joe's comment on how to add some extra body to the wine!
smiley4.gif

When did you end up pulling your bag from the primary? Was it right before it got to the right SG?

Depends really on what size batch you are making as a 1 gallon batch will ferment very fast so you will need to pull the fruit out earlier but with 6 gallons I usually leave in 7-10 days depending on temps in wine. In ex. if the batch is cooking at 80* in the summer then I will pull the fruit out in seven days so that it doesnt spoil. If its a nice cool 70* then Ill leave it in for 10 days or when racking is necessary due to fast fermentation and low SG.

joeswine said:

next time take that mash and place it into a sauce pan warm it up,cook it a , a little ,add a little simple syrup to it ,then take it off the heat and use a fine mesh chiefs strainer and press the mash through it,until theres nothing but a compose left,what your left with in the bowl is pure raspberry puree add some sorbate to it and either freeze it to add  back to your wine later or add to your wine in secondary fermentation adds such depth in body and flavor................won two golds with fresh raspberries that way ..........................http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12

As I just started my blackberry - I have the fortune to benefit from the vast amount of wisdom on this forum. Joe or anyone who performs the above 'refusion' of the mash back into the wine during secondary fermentation - wouldn't that cloud the wine? I am thinking I will do this process as I am worried about the body of my wine. I had to dilute my with about an extra 1/2 gal because I was following the recipe as gospel rather than, as I have read on this forum now, as a 'guideline' so my SG hit 1.13!
smiley7.gif
Luckily caught it and reduced down to SG 1.12 and further comforted that the yeast provided in my started packet (EC-1118) is a hearty.
smiley4.gif

Anyways, I ramble... does refusing the wine with mash cloud and require more time to clear?

If you do this when it has just finished then it is still cloudy anyway so will only set you back a little. If using a fining agent it wont matter anyway.

Well, I bottled my raspberry wine last night and had just enough left over for a glass. It was really good! I can hardly wait to taste it after it ages a little bit. Here are some pictures so you can see color. I thought it came out rather well for my first try at making a fruit wine from scratch. Now that I have my confidence build, I know where there is a patch of wild black raspberries that I just begging to be picked next summer!

20081115_130714_FOX_2059.jpg

20081115_131247_FOX_2060.jpg

20081115_131434_FOX_2062.jpg

20081115_131728_FOX_2064.jpg

I'm really looking forward to drinking this one and I seriously doubt I'll be sharing much
smiley15.gif

Monty

looks like a fine batch of fermented fruit........enjoy the wonderful world of fruit wine making

They look great! I too was impressed with my first raspberry wine, even though I made it from canned raspberries. After only two months it tasted better than any other at that point, even my (fresh)blackberry and blueberry. Liked it so much I started another batch right away.
Would love to get some fresh raspberries down here in the South!

Enjoy!

Great looking end result.
smiley20.gif
Is it summer yet? I am tired of winter...

<div style="padding: 10px 0px 3px 5px;">14°F
Feels Like
-2°F

We have a buch of U-pick orchards. Raspberry is one of them

Hey! Old thread I know.....but I don't suppose you have the recipe for this? It looks beautiful! I can see you put the amount of raspberries in the first post but I would like to know about sugar quantities if possible.

New to wine making, just made a kit red wine but want to make my own from fruit?

Also, does this wine age well, or did it get drunk too quickly :h

Latest posts

Back