Raspberry Melomel Plan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFruitWines

Reaction score
I planted fall raspberries this year and didn't expect to get any this year. looks like i'm going to get about 5lbs. I plan on doing a 2 gal batch using the berry bliss recipe using local honey.

honey to 1.09-1.095
5 lbs raspberries
d47 yeast
tannin
pectic enzyme

not sure on nutrients, I have yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. I've seen the fermaid products discussed here but they didn't seem to be familiar with them at the LHBS. they seem to be beer guys. do I need this?

also I plan to add 3 lbs red raspberries at the beginning, then 2 lbs yellow raspberries at 1,03-1.02 after the vigorous fermentation has finished. should/can I add more pectis enzyme when I add the second batch of raspberries?

thanks, Mike

20141003_111548-1.jpg

Pectic enzyme wont work in the presence of an active alcohol fermentation, but you could add the fruit when you wanted, and add pectic enzyme post-fermentation to finish breaking that fruit down.

Fermaid products arent absolutely necessary, but they definitely make a higher quality finished product; you can order them online at a handful of supply stores, Doug at Brew and Wine Supply is a vendor here, or MoreWine also has it as well

thanks Deezil! is there much risk leaving this in the primary for a few days after fermentation so the berries break down? temps are down here so it might ferment slow enough that it wont be necessary but I want to be prepared.

It's just a thought but, you could make a straight mead, let it ferment down to 1.010, transfer to secondary and add your berries then. this tends to leave more fruit flavor in your wine. An active fermentation can take some of the flavor with it.

BOB

Back