Raisins vs barley in Pom Wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMc

Reaction score
I have been looking online, here and elsewhere for pomegranate wine recipes. CrashPat and others here, as well as Keller's site have great looking recipes.
The recipes I have found call for adding barley OR raisins OR grape juice. I found one that has rice as an ingredient. Would someone explain why I would pick one ingredient over another? The pom wine on Keller's site is listed as a award winner and it has barley as an ingredient.
I also read on one site that cautions about using raisins since, according to the author, SO2 is used in raisin production so could be a problem when using them in winemaking when adding additional SO2.

As always, thank you and sorry if I'm asking something that is "common knowledge" to the more experienced winemakers here!
Sue

Last edited:
Hope you get an answer. I was wondering the same thing. Made a batch with the barley added. Turned out the barley drank up too much of the water and didn't get a full gallon when transferred to secondary, SOoo I turned the entire batch into Skeeter Pee. Still cooking.

Back