anyone know of a wild rice wine recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get a large amount of wild rice (I use about 4 pounds in a year for cooking) so I wanted to try making wine. I only found one thread here and it is old and unfinished. Since it's actually a grain, maybe a recipe for wild rice beer. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I've done a potato and a barley. Wheat, rice, and sake are still on the list. I have recipes in some of my books. I'll dig them up if no one else comes through. Starchy ingredients usually need amylase enzyme to make something the yeast can use.

My brain wasn't working this morning. I should have directed you here right away. I'll still check my books later.

Rice wine is page 208. I'm surprised he doesn't use amylase enzyme.
Keller is a good source if you can't fine a recipe any where else. I always add more flavor ingredients than he uses but with rice wine I don't know, uncharted territory for me.
And there are so many different kinds of rice. I'm sure the results will be different with each one. I have about 20 lbs of jasmine rice - I might have to move this up the to-do list.

https://swguildpa.com/wp-content/up...ler-Complete-Requested-Recipes-Collection.pdf

Thanks everyone. The Keller recipe looks like a raisin wine flavored with rice. That may be a good recipe since I was hoping I could make a wine with a wild rice flavor. I looked at making sake but the process scared me off.

Wild rice is not rice, it's a grain that looks like rice. I'm not sure a rice recipe is the best choice, although the ones I've seen are for sake, which is one heckuva process.
Doh! You're right - I'm having brain issues this week.
I actually have some koji kin for making sake, been avoiding it. Saying you're making sake is like saying you're making wine - that's a small tip of a very large iceberg and I'm not ready to start down that road. Some day.

@JustJoe , this seems to be the basic grain/cereal wine recipe that the others are based on. It can be used for barley, wheat, rice, millet, corn, wild rice, amaranth, oats, etc. Some grains/cereals need they're own special prep work:

cereal/grain 3 lbs
sugar 2 3/4 lbs
tannin 1/2 tsp
acid blend 2 tsp
pectic enzyme 1 tsp
nutrient
yeast
water 1 gallon

Raisins/concentrate can replace up to 2/3 of the grain, adjusting sugar accordingly.
Most of the grains/cereals ideally are not those used in the kitchen - not polished or pearled or processed.

As with most recipes, it's a guideline.

Latest posts

Back