Raising SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting my first run of freshly picked blueberry wine. I have to say this was a great experience from picking the fruit to preparing the juice for fermentation. I started off with a 4 gallon batch that has worked up to a 5 gallon. It has been about 24 hours and I am wanting to pitch the yeast (71B-112) this afternoon.

My SG is is sitting at .075 @75 degrees. should I worry about raising this another .005 - .010 or run with what I have?

At this temperature sitting at 1.080SG what would my alcohol percentage be after fermentation?

Edited by: First Time Wine

What you have there if you are saying it is 1.075 @ 75* and not knowing if you have adjusted the SG for that temp is approx. would be a finished abv of 11.25 which is a little low but nothing to worry about. I like to go for between 1.080 -1.085 on fruit wines and maybe a little higher depending on the fruits intensity and blueberries is 1 that can go a little higher to say 1.090. You can leave it alone or up it just a little bit.
The formula I use for figuring out abv goes as such- Starting SG(1.080) - finish SG(approx. 0.992) = multiplied by 131.4 gives you answer.
1.080-.992=.088 x 131.4= 11.563

Thanks Wade,
I talked to George on the phone and he said about the same thing. I got it up to 1.080 by slowly adding sugar. I can't beleive how nice it smells and how thick the color of the juice is. When it is all said and done it should make a nice looking wine with just the right amount of alcohol for a fruit wine.

First Time...Who let on this forum without a camera? Man you gotta put pictures of good stuff like that Blueberry on here !!!
smiley4.gif

Here are some picks....Last year we didn't have BB's because of a late freeze. This is one wine I have been dying to make.
20080612_183122_DSCN1483.JPG

20080612_183241_DSCN1484.JPG

When I open the top it smells like a blueberry pie. I really expect this one to have a great taste and color.

Edited by: First Time Wine

Awesome looking First...Are you going to oak it. I like an Ameican medium toast for my Blueberry

Very nice...Looks so good, makes me want to go out and buy some blueberries....Should be an awesome wine..
smiley20.gif

Hey Waldo,

In a couple days I am looking to rack my BB wine. Would you suggest adding the oak in the first rack during the last part of fermentation or during the aging process?

Thanks

Back