Rags to Richs' Hard Lemonade

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started something I have been thinking of doing for a while now- a nice hard lemonaide. I have a party/picnic to go to Sunday so it's going to have to be quick! Having never made one before I had no real clue how to do it, so I thought a while how I wanted it to be. I like my hard lemonaide nice and pulpy so a good juice concentrate is a "must". I also like it sort of like a strong beer, so yes, I need a beer yeast. I also needed some Dry Malt Extract- preferably light. I want it to be around 7% ABV so about 1.065-1.070 should do it with maybe just a hint of sugars left.

Here's what I used

20 cans Lemonaid mix- this is the rags- 79 cents a can at Aldi's
2.5 pounds sugar
1 pound Light Dried Malt Extract
1 packet Windsor Brewing Yeast from Danstar

Can't get much simpler than this.
I heated the malt extract in a couple quarts water to get dissolved good. I figured I needed the 2.5 pounds sugar and figured it would dissolve better in the water/extract mix, so in it went. Once all hot, I poured it in the 7.9 gallon primary and started adding the semi-frozen concentrates (that's why I left the mixture hot). Once I got 19 of them in there (reserved one for slight sweetening at the end), I stirred it all up good and added warm water to bring up to 6 gallons or so. I then took the SG and WHOAAAAA, it was 1.110! Wowsers that will never finish up in a week- what to do. I went out and got another bucket that holds five gallons. I calculated my mistake and figured I needed to dilute to 9 gallons to get the proper juice concentrate to water mixture and should be close to my target 1.065. I took out two gallons and brought that up to 3 gallons. I checked the SG and it came in at just under 1.070- good enough. I then brought the four gallons in the other bucket up to 6 and checked- 1.070 again.

I checked the temp and it was fine so I mixed up the yeast for a starter- waited till it got going good and added an equal amount of the lemon juice. Let that get going and repeated until I had two quarts going good and divided it up between the two buckets. So now I have 9 gallons of the stuff going! I started it Sunday and today- Tuesday, it is bubbling happily along. I'm crossing my fingers it is going to be close to done on Sunday morning. I will then rack off three gallons in gallon jugs, chill it good and bring it next door to the picnic. That should keep me happy, I just hope the others bring their own!
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif

I will report on how it turns out!

Wow, 1 week huh, that will be close and even slightly carbonated for ya's! Dont worry it can finish fermenting in your belies!
smiley36.gif

Wade I'm not that worried about it finishing in time unless it just plain stops soon. I had a glass full ( a water glass)last night and everybody kept stealing it on me exclaiming "Hey this is pretty good". It is carbonated and does taste pretty good already. That yeast is a fast fermenter and preserves the esters which is what I want. It also leaves residual sugars. It smells just like lemonaid

Sorry Waldo. I was in such a hurry I didn't get pictures! I will try to get one when I jug it!

Thats going to be some party with 9 gallons of this stuff!

You better have some extra bed rooms ready!

It's not at my place, but is right next door.
smiley4.gif
I won't need a cab...........

I'm only bringing 3 gallons of the stuff unless more is needed. There will be beer drinkers and a few winos also!

Really sounds easy and will be a great thirst squencher. You made a few refinements to the recipe. What would you recommend for a one gallon or three gallon recipe?

Can't believe there's a drink easier than wine to make but this may be my new best friend.

Wayne

oh my - all I can think about now is making this one! I like the malt addition - thanks for sharing!

I've been sampling every day this week. It tastes really good and every day the kick increases. If bottled in beer bottles when it is almost finished, it would get a nice carbonation thing going! A water glassthis eveningon top of a couple beers and a couple glasses of St. Pepin is really making the old head spin! LOL

Well tomorrow is the day of the party/picnic so I'm trying another glass of the lemonaid. It is still fermenting and would probably go another couple days. I will let whatever we don't polish off finish up fermenting. It is a SG now of 1.030 and should be about 1.020 by morning when I will need to jug some and chill it.

It tastes remarkably like Mike's Hard Lemonade and is one heck of a lot cheaper! I can't wait to taste some of this after it has chilled!

Tepe -
Since Appleman didn't report back,I'll assume the guests must have liked it - they may still be passed out on the floor!
smiley29.gif
smiley2.gif

Bart

BartReeder said:
Tepe -
Since Appleman didn't report back,I'll assume the guests must have liked it - they may still be passed out on the floor!
smiley29.gif
smiley2.gif

Bart
I want some !
smiley20.gif

Sorry, I had to go out and work in the vineyard this AM, but am checking in briefly now. Everybody said they liked it, but there was so much other booze that most only drank one bottle of it. Most folks were feeling good, but OK. There are always a few that overdo it............. One guy had about 10 of the hard lemonade alone in about 40 minutes. My one sister had a hard lemonade and about 3 bottles of wine. My younger brother kept getting phone calls on his cell, so my oldest sister said, "I'll answer it. " She had fun toying with the young man calling my brother (an employee of his). She said, sorry he can't come to the phone, he's at this party and everyone is drunk- while we are all listening and cracking up. He asked her if she was too. Then she decided to help my middle aged sister to the younger sisters house to get some cake to help sober her up. The really drunk one fell down and tipped the chair over a niece was sitting in and it was like dominoes toppling over everybody sitting around the roaring campfire. My older brother had had plenty too, but was still doing OK. We all had a blast. It was the first time in years all six of us brothers and sisters were together at once. Our mother and other relatives were there also. A good sized gathering and the best part was, it wasn't at my place so no cleaning up, and I could walk home.

So yes, the lemonade was good!

appleman said:
1 packet Windsor Brewing Yeast from Danstar

Appleman,

What would you suggest as an alternate yeast because the stores I normally buy from don't stock this yeast.

Thanks in advance.

smflyer - try any good ale type yeast. One that ferments fairly neutral should be good. You also don't want one with high alcohol tolerance so that it will finish a bit sweet.

Latest posts

Back