Racking Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecilias9

Reaction score
Well, I have had three consecutive SG readings of 0.990, so I know it is time to rack. I cannot believe how much the wine has cleared in only one month! Thought you might appreciate pictures.
smiley1.gif

20100804_164205_half_gallon_jug.jpg

20100804_164406_wine_cleared.JPG

The five gallon carboy is just as clear.
smiley1.gif
Hard for me to believe it is the same wine, but it is.

Time to add the k-meta and sorbate. If you are sweetening I would let it sit a week and then sweeten ad then use a fining agent if you so desire.

It's muscadine wine. Now, what is the sorbate for? I do not plan to sweeten. I did not think you used a fining agent until you were ready to bottle??? Don't I rack about 3 or 4 times? Thanks for the input.

From the way its clearing I don't think you will need a fining agent. Just let nature take its course as you will be bulk aging for quite a while anyway.

If you are not going to sweeten then sorbate is not needed but it does have anti bacterial properties to it so adding it is beneficial but not needed. A fining agent if being used is better to use now to get rid of all the heavy particles from suspension and rack it once maybe twice after that as even when using a fining agent fine sediment will usually fall out over time. Make sure you degas your wine now to help it clear better whether your using a fining gent or not.

I sure do like this forum. You guys are GREAT!!! I would never attempt this without all the wonderful help I have found here. Thanks a bunch. Will head to the wine store 1st thing in the morning to get that sorbate... and another carboy to rack into. I think I'll take Waldo's advice and not use a fining agent; we'll see what nature can do.

Time is always the best way but sometimes it fails and we resort to a fing agent and SuperKleer is my go to fining agent!

Well, the deed is done. My wine has been racked, sorbated, metabisulfited, and degassed. Although I will say that I believe I degassed myself as much as I did the wine
smiley36.gif
. I actually broke out in a sweat. Of course, it's awfully humid here, but afterwards I was worn out! I did have to add sanitized marbles to get the level up into the neck, but the mission is accomplished!

What I really hate is that I lose a whole quart of wine from racking. I hope next time it will be a lot less than that.

Now I wait for 2 to 3 months, right??

Makes you feel like you accomplished something good doesn't it? You can rack again in a month if there is a lot of sediment. 2-3 months is fine also.

Next time you rack and get quite a bit left, pour the clearest part into a smaller bottle that it will fit in and refrigerate it. It will settle out and the top half will get pretty clear and you can pour it off. I usually drink that but it can be used to top off with later.

I do feel like I've accomplished something that is going to be VERY rewarding.
smiley36.gif
But may I ask, why do you refrigerate the left over murky stuff instead of just letting it settle outside the fridge? Just curious.

Thanks for answering Wade. I have been busy in the vineyard today thinning grapes. I really need to haul it a bit since they are ripening so fast.

Thats why we have a team here, for when one of us is a little busy!

Latest posts

Back