Racking During Bulk ageing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a mezza luna red. I also noticed last night there is about 1/8" of sediment in each of the bottles. Is this okay?

- That is a lot of sediment, but if this is wine that is a year old, you should be ok. This is why they make decanters. Just store the bottle straight up for a week or so (before you drink it) so that the sediment settles to the bottom of the bottle. Carefully uncork and gently pour into the decanter, leaving the sediment behind in the bottle. Enjoy.

- I have sometimes popped a cork that was less than a day old. When the wine is ready, it is ready. If good in the carboy, then it should be good in the bottle. For most wines, ageing only improves things (up to a point). Enjoy!

waited an extra month to top off...worries?

I have a batch of WE Angel Blanco that was clear by the estimated timeline on the kit directions. It has been kept in carboy under airlock and the airlock monitored to insure that the fluid level in the airlock was never too low. Although kit directions say to "top off" and insert a solid bung if waiting over a month to bottle (once it has cleared...which it did by day 14 after stabilizing), it was kept under airlock and not topped off until about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks past that 14 day mark. It was then racked to a clean carboy and topped off, requiring 3 (750 ml) bottles of similar wine to reach a level 2 inches below the bung. The wine used for topping off is a Riesling that I made, which had K meta 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons added prior to bottling. I have made many wine kits, including Angel Blanco, but have always bottled within 30 days of clearing and have never topped off. I intend to bottle within a week or two. This wine is to be served at a wedding reception this summer, and I am uneasy about having waited so long to top off. Should I be concerned? If so, what kinds of things should I be alert for as regards the quality of the finished product? Thanks!

If I have understood correctly, you had a wine with 3 bottle's worth of headspace, under airlock, for 4.5 to 5 weeks. I think your wine will be just fine. One consideration is whether it was degassed. The gassier it had been during that time, the better off you will have been. Also, when you stabilized, I assume this meant you added k-meta. K-meta will help prevent oxidation.

But, bottom line, how does it taste? If it tastes fine, it is fine! If tastes oxidized, then you have a problem. (Personally, I would doubt it will be oxidized!)

Yes, your understanding is correct. The wine tastes great, so I will not worry. Thank you for your response!

Latest posts

Back