Racking During Bulk ageing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! Thanks The only thing is this my first batch of wine. I hate to pour store bought wine into my carboy to top it off! Oh well! Do you think 1/4 tsp will be enough to age it for a while? Also I was wondering what temperature and how long to age it in the carboy? Is it ok to use a plastic carboy? I was curious how you add the Sulphite? Do you stir it in or just add a little bit as you siphon over to the new carboy? Thanks for all the help, Dave

Last edited:
At what temperature should you bulk age? I am planning on only bulk aging for 3 to 6 months before bottling mostly to allow the sediment to settle one more time. I am going to use an airlock while it ages. I have a choice between 50 ish and 70ish degrees as places to age my wine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

At what temperature should you bulk age? I am planning on only bulk aging for 3 to 6 months before bottling mostly to allow the sediment to settle one more time. I am going to use an airlock while it ages. I have a choice between 50 ish and 70ish degrees as places to age my wine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

To use this time to allow the wine to release CO2 naturally, I would err on the higher side of that spectrum.

Great! Thanks The only thing is this my first batch of wine. I hate to pour store bought wine into my carboy to top it off! Oh well! Do you think 1/4 tsp will be enough to age it for a while? Also I was wondering what temperature and how long to age it in the carboy? Is it ok to use a plastic carboy? I was curious how you add the Sulphite? Do you stir it in or just add a little bit as you siphon over to the new carboy? Thanks for all the help, Dave

I warm up @1cup of distilled/bottled water or some of the wine and dissolve 1/4 tsp for 6 gallon then add it in as you are racking to help distribute. I rackover in 3 month intervals and have had no problems with too much/too little. Plastic may be ok for the short term but most prefer glass. Many use cheaper store boughts to top off. Better than water. Cool temp preferred over warm for aging. All under airlock to allow CO2 to vent. You should be just fine :r

Thanks for all the great advice! I really am enjoying this new hobby. Right now my Malbec is in the stabilising and clearing stage. My airlock seems like it never bubbles. During the bulk aging period I am planning 3 to 6 months. Will there be much degassing occuring? I was just going to put 1/4 tsp in as I rack to the glass carboy. After 3 to 6 months I am going to bottle. Do you think I should add more sulphites before I bottle? Suphites were added during the stablizing and clearing stage already. That would be 3 additions of sulphite. My gut feeling is my wine has enough suplhites before I bottle.

Your fermentation is done at this stage. The occasional bubble thru the airlock will come from CO2 making it's way out of solution. You'd do best to pre-dissolve anything to be added to your product. That way you are sure it will ALL incorporate. If you read various articles on aging wines, I think you'll see reference to the @3 month time period for racking and/or treating. The sulfite will dissipate, not accumulate. Again, you may be surprised that you can still get sediment dropping out well into 6 months. If you plan on bottling at the end of a 3month time period, you may want to sulfite about a week prior to bottling. Not a hard-fast rule, but it's a step I take and I've had no problems thus far. You seem to be on the right track. The last BEST ingredient to add,,,,,, Time!!!

I was thinking about bulk aging for 6 months but didn't want to add so many sulphites. When the wine is in the bottle for years no extra sulphites are required. Is the reason for the sulphites every 3 months due to the introduction of air while being racked? Does the airlock prevent oxygen from hurting the wine especially if its topped off? D

The free sulfites get bound during the bulk aging process, so yes adding a little along the way and before bottling is necessary. The amount added is not as much as you would think, compared to other foods we commonly eat; dried fruits.

Is the reason for the sulphites every 3 months due to the introduction of air while being racked? Does the airlock prevent oxygen from hurting the wine especially if its topped off? D

An airlock greatly reduces the influx of O2 into the wine. However, O2 is soluble in water, and so some O2 can migrate through the airlock. Thus, you need to protect you wine against oxidation (by using sulfites) during bulk aging.

Hi Guys, Not to drive you crazy with this bulk aging thing but my directions say this: NOTE: If you are not bottling at this
time you must remove the bung
and airlock and replace them with
a solid rubber or silicone bung. This
will help to prevent oxidation until
you do bottle. If you intend to leave
the wine in the carboy longer than
one month, you will need to top
it up to within 2 inches (about the
width of two fingers) from the bottom of the solid bung with a
similar wine. Alternatively, you can transfer the finished wine
to a smaller vessel to eliminate any headspace and reduce
the danger of oxidation. If you wish to filter your wine, you
should do it now, immediately prior to bottling.
Is that only for short term storage with no extra sulphites?

Well, if it pleases you to follow the directions of your kit, then do so!
If it pleases you to follow the advice that you have gotten on this forum, then follow that advice.

I never use a solid bunge, I always use an airlock making sure it's filled with kmeta solution to the optimal level and replacing my plastic carboys with glass over time so I can make the purchase of an all in one! Maybe sometime next year I'll be a proud owner! But until then I leave my wine degass and clear by aging in carboy you can't go wrong by aging in carboy! And to answer your question yes I think that must be it, cuz if you were to add some the solid bunge would blow off

I tried solid bungs for awhile but had trouble with them somehow working themselves loose and having to reseat them. I've switched back to using air locks two years ago and haven't had any problems.

Changes in temp and air pressure in the Carboy can, and do, work a solid bung loose. The greatest danger to your wine when using an airlock is forgetting to check you wines regularly and having the liquid in the airlock evaporate on you.

In either situation, O2 is your enemy.

Hi, Just curious... If I am going to age some bottles for say 5 to 10 years would 1/4 tsp of Kmeta be sufficient to age that long? I am adding 1/4 tsp Kmeta before I carboy age for 3 months and then I was going to add another 1/4 tsp kmeta before bottling. I was wondering if that is enough or too much? Also another question. I have a carboy of cab that is in second stage fermentation. We left for a few days and the temp in our house was allowed to cool down to around 58 degrees. The SG is right around .998. I need it to get to .996 before going to the clarification stage. I was wondering if the yeast remaining will continue to ferment now that the temp is back up in the house.

If you plan on aging that long I would test the S02 level.The rule of thumb is 1/4 tsp per 5/6 gal before bottling but aging that long I would make sure there is sufficient amounts and also consider buying long term aging corks and as far as the sg it may have stalled warm it and keep fingers crossed

Last edited:
I completed bulk aging for 1 year and just bottled last night. How long should I let the wine age in the bottle before drinking? It was good out of the carboy just unsure if it needs to sit and age in the bottle too.

What kind of wine? Some should be aged longer ( heavy reds). If it tasted good to you that is all that is important. I always let mine sit for a few weeks at least after I bottle. But again if it taste good to you drink it, just keep a few bottles for a few more years to see how it is then:ib

Latest posts

Back