Racking and Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just added the remaining ingredients to my Vintners Reserve Chardonnay, stage 3.It is my first kit so I am checking each step with the pro’s as I go.I have to say after 10 days (before stage 3) the wine became clear on its own and looke good.I am not in a hurry to bottle this and start drinking so I feel like I have the luxury of time.I have a question about degassing.Smurfe’s tutorial helped immensely - http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1135

I plan on racking my wineover to another carboy after 10 days.The instructions tell me I can bottle it then if it’s clear, but I want it to be very clean of any sediment.Now the question:After I move it over to the second carboy leaving all the sediment behind can I carefuly mix it again to try an help remove any gas that is still in there?

Yes you can but if it is truly degassed then it isn't necessary.

Thanks.... I just wanted to make sure that when I transfered it again if I noticed or tasted gas in the wine I could still do somethinf about it. Everything in the process is pretty scientific with temp and hydrometer readings, the degassing instructions seemed just a little bit nebulous when it came to determining when it is completed.

Thanks for the help

You are correct about the degassing step since there really isn't a reading or test (besides sampling) you can do to determine your wine is degassed properly.

You just need to followtried and truetechniques and provide the correct conditions for your wine and have trust in them that they will work for you.

I think that this step is the most difficult for folks just starting out since you want the wine done NOW so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

We can't sell or teach patitence...it is something learned!
smiley4.gif

Has anyone used bocksin? Wondering what the pros/cons are to it , and if its worth the effort to try or not. Haven't had the problem myself, but seems to be a reoccurring topic, never seen this product mentioned.

Latest posts

Back