Rack before degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Should I rack before degassing?

Or degas and wait a week or two then rack?

Rack first... if you degas and its still fermenting you'll just be wasting your time, once your wine is done fermenting and the airlocks stop "Bubbing"... the degassing will ensure that every last bit is agitated and worked out of the juice. Aside from just wasting your time, if you degas first all the sediment (slurry) at the bottom will get mixed in with the juice again. When racking your attempting to leave all sediment (slurry) behind and only take the wine! Any other questions post away i know being new you may tend to search for answers instead of just ask them, but dont be afraid someone will help you and at the very least link you to other questions similar to your that have been answered prior. :b

Not sure if your making a kit or not but with the kit I am using from vintners reserve and the island mist I just started the instructions both say to degas first before racking again because these kits require that you stir back in the sediment to the juice for some reason. just wanted to throw that out there if your using a kit like I am.

Not sure if your making a kit or not but with the kit I am using from vintners reserve and the island mist I just started the instructions both say to degas first before racking again because these kits require that you stir back in the sediment to the juice for some reason. just wanted to throw that out there if your using a kit like I am.

Its not a "kit", but it had yeast and sulfites in it already.

allow me to stand corrected, I have only done fresh grapes and the method i used had always worked for me, and i add nothing other than what mother nature has added. If there are directions on a print that differ from mine by all means follow them. But making it the way i do, i degas after racking it.

I'm going with your method.

Mine didn't come with directions, but your way makes sense.

I think it depends on what clarifying agent you will be using. Some (like those in kits) require the sediment to be stirred up while others don't, but I cant recall which ones are which.

Back