quick degas guestion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
I made a batch of skeeter pee a while back thats been sitting for several days with no signs of clearing. Today i did a test by stealing a small ammount of the wine and putting it in a test beaker. I covered it with my hand and shook the hell out of it for a few second when i removed my hand there was a very faint hiss. I read somewhere that that means there is still gass in the wine. Is this correct? I can degass it again no sweat but would rather leave it be if I dont need to degas again. My goal is to have this wine drinkable by the Fourth of July.

Ps. I added a little sugar to the test sample and gave it a taste and im looking forward to the final product now it was tasty.

I made a batch of skeeter pee a while back thats been sitting for several days with no signs of clearing. Today i did a test by stealing a small ammount of the wine and putting it in a test beaker. I covered it with my hand and shook the hell out of it for a few second when i removed my hand there was a very faint hiss. I read somewhere that that means there is still gass in the wine. Is this correct? I can degass it again no sweat but would rather leave it be if I dont need to degas again. My goal is to have this wine drinkable by the Fourth of July.

Ps. I added a little sugar to the test sample and gave it a taste and im looking forward to the final product now it was tasty.

not sure of all the information - so I would recommend degassing and adding your clarifier to it - so it can definitely be sparkling by the 4th

Sounds like a plan to me. I really want that Wine pump lol.

I have one. It's great if you make any quantity of wine. You should get one.

I have been looking at it for a year now but it's outside my financial situation. Once I can afford it it's my first buy.

I would hit it with sparkaloid, make sure the wine is around 75 degrees and let it sit a bit (like a week or two). It should probably clear by then. When it is clear, draw a big glass, add some sugar to taste and have at it. Don't forget to stabalize it before you sweeten the carboy. Best start another batch as soon as you get it bottled, maybe before. Don't want you sitting around wishing you had more for the rest of the summer. (Been there) Arne.

Latest posts

Back