Question on Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use tap water and as long as you like the taste of your tap water - go for it. If you decide to use spring water, that's fine as well. Just do not use distilled water, it lacks the minerals and nutrients the yeast need.

Tap water is fine. If the water is good enough to drink, it is good enough for your wines. If you have a lot of chlorine you may want to boil of the chlorine and cool or even just place it in a pan and let the chlorine gas off overnight.

After making 40 kits, I can not detect any differences in kits I made with tap water and those I made with bottled spring water.

For some reason, I feel better if I use bottled spring water but I can not say it is any better then the wines I have made from tap water made by Fairfax County Water Authority in Virginia.

I use distilled water in my kits. My tap water has too much salt in it. I did buy a Reverse Osmosis filter. It seems to help a lot.

If you are going to use bottled water, may I suggest that you use spring water instead of distilled water.

Distilled water has ALL the minerals and trace elements removed from the water leaving it with a very sterile taste. Bottled spring water does not contain chlorine but does have the minerals that I feel are needed to making great wine.

Make sure the bottled water you buy is spring water (from a natural occurring spring), some water labeled spring water is just municipal city tap water that has been filtered.

Robert

Tap water all the way! I've never tried it with spring water, though I doubt I would get much difference in taste.

I use the filtered water that comes through the refrigerator door, then I cover my must with a towel and secure with a large rubber band. This allows the chlorine in the water and the k-meta to dissipate. I also, have had no problems or off tastes with this method.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back