Question for Port makers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
Do you need to add kmeta and sorbate to a port style wine when racking?

I do not add sorbate and only add k-meta prior to fermenting wine.

When I make port, I wait until the sugar% drops to my preferred level, then pitch brandy to the preferred alcohol level.

Since port is so high in alcohol, I do not believe that k-meta is so important.

Thanks John, That's what I was thinking with the alcohol at 19% + I'm adding all this stuff for nothing, the yeast should already be dead and gone. I made a berry port out of steamed Blueberry, Blackberry and Raspberry juice. I kept adding juice and sugar until it stopped at I figure 20% and then racked and topped with Blackberry Brandy. It is very good at 6 months can't wait to see what it's like after a year. Thanks again, Scott

Hmmmm

If your adding any sugar (flavor reserve pack) to a wine, fortified or not and not adding the sorbate you are most definitely taking a gamble. I have a La Bodega Port going and it has a big flavor pack with sugar in it to backsweeten. The yeast are not necessarily dead, they just ran out of food (sugar).......

Sorbate does not need to added to a fully fermented "dry" wine but if you add sugar post fermentation you better rethink the no adding the sorbate thing IMHO........

SBWs,

Sounds to me like JohnT is an experienced wine/port maker, who knows what he is doing. He has obviously done these steps before. As a matter of fact, I think I'll try making my next port the way he does it.

You on the other hand are "New To This". At 19%, you might be OK to skip the sorbate, but I would not take any chances; I'd add it. The kmeta is not that important at this point, as it does not kill the yeast anyway, but rather, just slows them down by stunning them.

Last thing you need is for fermentation to restart in the bottle and ruin all your hard work.

IMO - do it once with the sorbate. Then, once you have the whole process under your belt, repeat the process without the sorbate.

I worked at a well known winery that makes an exceptional Touriga Port and they used sulfite but skipped the sorbate. Me personally, i use the Sorbate on my ports. But use the lower level recommendation. 1/4 tsp per gallon instead of 1/2 tsp per gallon

Sorbate also has anti microbial properties to it so adding it isnt going to hurt anything. If you are around 17-19% its possible that a yeast like EC1118 may still have a little life in her yet. When you start getting around 21% Id feel safe not needing and sorbate. Some sulfite is always a good thing IMO.

Thanks for all the help, I'm going with Sulfite & Sorbate this time around. Better safe than sorry, and like Wade said it won't hurt anything.

Scott

Folks,

When I make port I shoot for a APV of over 20%. I do not know of any yeast that can survive at that high of a percentage. I have made port many times and have not encountered any issues.

I never use sorbate. Sorbate is great for winemakers with a short turnaround (time between ferment and bottle). Since I age all of my wines for 2 years, and I ferment dry, I have never had a need to add sorbate. I just keep the SO2 at an appropriate level and all is well.

Here's one:

Eau de Vie

Up to 21%! Not likely to be roaming around most of our wineries I suppose.

I really, really do not want to use sorbate on my La Bodega so thinking I may take the gamble and leave it out since I seem to be able to taste it. Its still bulk aging and has not been fortified and won't be for quite a while so plenty of time to ponder and research the option.

Hi Scott
I have been making port from grapes for years.
Sorbate is used to prevent fermentation after the addition of sugar.
If your port is at 18%+ ABV it is very unlikely that you are going to get any additional fermentation unless you are using Turbo type yeast. And even if it does ferment it is going to stop at 18% ABV.
You know, I am very disciplined with my Sulphite in making wine, but I never use Sulphite in my port. No recipies I have read call for Sulphite in port and my theory is that no bugs are going to live in 20% ABV.

Cheers
Jim

Latest posts

Back