Question about the Vinibrite Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskins

Reaction score
I was considering buying one of these from amazon today since i will be bottling soon and had a question.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00838TXNQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The description for that one says each filter is only good for 2 gallons? This seems really small and most wine gallon batches i will be doing will be 5-6 gallons. Anyone have some good experience with these filters that can clarify is they are only good for 2 gallons? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering buying one of these from amazon today since i will be bottling soon and had a question.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00838TXNQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The description for that one says each filter is only good for 2 gallons? This seems really small and most wine gallon batches i will be doing will be 5-6 gallons. Anyone have some good experience with these filters that can clarify is they are only good for 2 gallons? Thanks!

well unless i have been doing things wrong, i have never had a problem filtering 5-6 gallon batches with one pad....i have been using the vin brite for years, and that is the first i have ever heard that the pad is only good for 1-2 gallons at a time...i can see if maybe someone is trying to use the filter for other than intended, ie, trying to filter wine cloudy wine, in lieu of waiting for it to clear and then just give it a fine polishing....but when used properly, like i said, i've gotten full 5-6 gallon batches done just fine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply! Another thing i wanted to be sure about is when exactly you would usually filter the wine? Do you filter more than once? I have my wine in the carboy now and was going to bottle in a few days so i would filter it into another container and bottle from there. But if i had owned the filter prior to starting the kit would you filter after primary and again before bottling? THanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! Another thing i wanted to be sure about is when exactly you would usually filter the wine? Do you filter more than once? I have my wine in the carboy now and was going to bottle in a few days so i would filter it into another container and bottle from there. But if i had owned the filter prior to starting the kit would you filter after primary and again before bottling? THanks!

no, no, no....you only filter once, and that is prior to bottling, BUT make sure your wine is CLEAR.....don't filter your wine until all the sediment has dropped out and is completely clear....otherwise you will be clogging up filter pads early, and not getting your batches filtered with one pad....like i said, filtering isn't supposed to be used as a means of clearing your wine, but as a means of polishing up an already cleared wine....soi wouldn't filter until you are sure the wine is cleared and are ready to bottle...

Redskins, if you PM me an address, I will send you my Vinbrite, "free, gratis and without charge." I will even go for the postage. I don't use it anymore since I got my cartridge filter set up. It just sits on the shelf gathering dust. If you can use it, great. Let me know.

Redskins, if you PM me an address, I will send you my Vinbrite, "free, gratis and without charge." I will even go for the postage. I don't use it anymore since I got my cartridge filter set up. It just sits on the shelf gathering dust. If you can use it, great. Let me know.

Awesome deal - if he passes on this let me know...I'd gladly help clear your shelf! I'd even spring for the postage myself!

Rocky said:

Rocky, just curious why you aren't using anymore? I was looking to purchase one vs a allinone but trying to figure out difference.

Rocky, just curious why you aren't using anymore? I was looking to purchase one vs a allinone but trying to figure out difference.

I think the main reason that I would cite is the amount of time it takes to filer a 5 or 6 gallon carboy with the pump vs. the Vinbrite condidering the amont of wine I make per year. I found the Vinbrite worked well when I had it assembled correctly and did not over tighten (and tear the filter) in assembly. I think it is a good product for the price.

Rocky said:
I think the main reason that I would cite is the amount of time it takes to filer a 5 or 6 gallon carboy with the pump vs. the Vinbrite condidering the amont of wine I make per year. I found the Vinbrite worked well when I had it assembled correctly and did not over tighten (and tear the filter) in assembly. I think it is a good product for the price.

Are you using the allinone or another pump/filter?A little worried about how much wine loss with the allinone pump.

It sped throught the first 4 gallons or so pretty fast. At least i thought it was fast compaired to what I have read about it. The last 2 gallons were extremely slow. It worked great and cleared the wine up quite nice even though it was already pretty clear. I actually bottled 4 bottles of wine without filtering just to see what the difference is in taste and clarity after aging. It was my first batch and I am trying to learn as much information about the process as possible. Out of the 30 bottles, I am planning to drink one a month starting after 1 month just to see how the taste changes over time.

Are you using the allinone or another pump/filter?A little worried about how much wine loss with the allinone pump.

I don't have an All In One. I have a pump and a set up that I made from a home water filter system. I know that others have talked about losing wine in the filter, but that has not been my experience. If I lose 2 or 3 oz. I would be surprised.

JR, Here is my set up. I had an extra tool chest so I mounted the filter on it, put the filters and other materials in the drawers and it works fine. I am able to move the filter to the wine with ease. I did replace the plastic overflow tank that came with the respirator pump with a Buchner flask. I like the strength of the glass unit compared to the plastic.

100_0444.jpg

100_0445.jpg

Last edited:
Rocky said:
JR, Here is my set up. I had an extra tool chest so I mounted the filter on it, put the filters and other materials in the drawers and it works fine. I am able to move the filter to the wine with ease. I did replace the plastic overflow tank that came with the respirator pump with a Buchner flask. I like the strength of the glass unit compared to the plastic.

Yikes Rocky! That looks scary! I think I'm going to order the allinone! Lol

Problem is that it's not just the investment of the pump, it's all the glass carboys as I have better bottles.

You can rack FROM a better bottle, you just can't rack TO a better bottle.

You can always add a piece of 1/2 plastic pipe as shown in the review of the Allinonewinepump, and it will pull off the bottom - leaving very little wine left in the cannister. So there is very little wine loss at all

Rocky,

What filter element are you using? I know the ones around here come in different micron levels of filtration. Just wondering what size seems to be the best compromise for polishing wine.

I have the same housing as you and have used this for years to filter my tap water for brewing.

Sudz, I use the Pentek 1 and 5 micron filters. Initially, I intended to use the 1 micron for whites and 5 micron for reds. The last batch that I filtered was a red and I used the 1 micron. I think I will use the 1 micron for everything from here on out.

Here are some pictures. The 1 micron on the left, the 5 micron on the right.

100_0449.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back