Question about moving an "in-process" carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfurlotte

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Wasn't sure about the post title, but the question I have is, I am making a batch of wine (simple kit you buy anywhere for about 70$), and I'm going to be moving the 22, which will be 2 days before the bottling day. Is it possible to have a car ride of about 3 hours with my carboy full without ruining my batch?

I'm not even sure how to explain my problem, but if i'm correct, the day I'm moving would be the day I am done stirring the wine and I'd be suppose to let it stand still for 2 days before bottling.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

First off welcome to the forum. Think I would be more worried about excaping wine from the carboy than I would about ruining the batch. I would rack it off the lees, probably just leave the airlock on it. Maybe rubberband a walmart bag around the neck to catch any urps it mite have. Strap it down so it doesn't tip and go for it. When you get to its new home, I would let it sit under airlock for at least a couple of weeks to a month, then bottle if it is ready. Arne.

I dont see a problem. You might rap it in a blanket for protection from sun and temps. An airlock can gas out any bump bubbles. And:cw let it rest an extra day B4 bottling.

Is it completely degassed? all the sloshing/jostling around might cause co2 to foam up and out the airlock. A co2 eruption would be a mess during a move.

I wonder if a stopper with a tube to a 1 gallon overflow would be safer than a standard airlock?

Put the carboy somewhere that it will have the most "comfortable" ride with the least amount of vibration. If you're concerned at all that it might erupt out of the airlock, you could always siphon some out into a 750ml wine bottle or even a 1-gal jug. Don't worry about "bottling day" -- there is a whole lot of latitude in the timing of when to bottle your wine. Let it rest once you're settled into your new place. Bottle it when you've rested up and have enough energy to enjoy the process!

Put the carboy somewhere that it will have the most "comfortable" ride with the least amount of vibration. If you're concerned at all that it might erupt out of the airlock, you could always siphon some out into a 750ml wine bottle or even a 1-gal jug. Don't worry about "bottling day" -- there is a whole lot of latitude in the timing of when to bottle your wine. Let it rest once you're settled into your new place. Bottle it when you've rested up and have enough energy to enjoy the process!

I agree. I would stir it up gently to get the yeast back up into suspension then rack 3/4 of a gallon off into a gallon jug. Put air locks on both. When you reach your destination combine them back together to avoid head space any longer then needed. By the time you're ready to rack most of the lees will be settled back down.

The wine can't read a calendar. You can wait weeks or months to bottle it if you want. I transported one 150 miles and then back a week later once. No taking corners on 2 wheels.

Last edited:
You might just stir up enough yeast cells to start another fermentation. I'd let it sit another month just to be safe.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! Much appreciated! I will strap it in the car and take some out of the carboy into an empty gallon, then when I get to destination, I'll let the wine sit a few days to see what happens. Thanks again!

Question: Would a carboy qualify as an "open container"? :)

It's not an open container, it's a 23L glass carboy. I wouldn't be brave enough to drive around with an open container full of wine, but then again, I'm kinda scared to have my carboy explode in the car too haha

.... It's not an open container, it's a 23L glass carboy. I wouldn't be brave enough to drive around with an open container full of wine, but then again, I'm kinda scared to have my carboy explode in the car too haha

I expect he meant driving with an open bottle of liquor!! You should be okay unless you get stopped by Buford T Justice!

Latest posts

Back