Question about fermentation time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristi

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I have some strawberry wine going that I started in the first ferment with the fruit around the 17th of this month. I'm putting it into the secondary fermenter right now. At the time of adding the sugar with the fruit and water, the reading was 1.090. Today, it is at 1.000.

My question is this---is it time to just allow the sediment to fall to the bottom (about a week), then sweeten and bottle? My feeling is that there will quite probably be another ferment to be done to allow more sediment to fall, etc., but theoretically, is the wine finished fermenting?

TIA!

no it is still fermenting, you need to let it go until it is below 1.000, usually around .092. And you need longer than a week to let the sediment fall out. Once done fermenting, rack, add k-meta and let it sit for roughly three months, then if clear. backsweeten let it sit for a few weeks to make sure nothing else falls out and then bottle. Personnaly, I would rack and k-meta every three months for a year before bottling.

I move my fruit wines, once done fermenting, along faster than what Julie has posted. I'll rack to "secondary" ~ SG 1.020-1.000 and from there it is usually around a week later that fermentation is done. I'll rack again to do stabilization using both k-meta and sulfite, add clearing agent and degas. If I'll often back sweeten at this point as opposed to bottling time. I'll rack again in a few days, after a bunch of sediment falls out, to bulk age for a month or two. I always rack from carboy to pail for bottling just in case there is some dusting left on the bottom of the carboy.

When the SG reading does not change for @3 consecutive days, you may conclude that fermentation is done ,, at least with the original sugars in the batch. You must remember to stabilize before adding any sugars for backsweetening, lest fermentation start up again. Allow plenty of time for sediment to settle out. You'll be glad you did!!!

Patience is a key ingredient. I'm quick to get off the gross lees, but then give it time to clear and degas on its own. Stabilize and back sweeten in bulk and let it sit for a few more weeks. Think 5-6 months.

Latest posts

Back