RJ Spagnols Quality Control Issues (RJS CruSelect Kits)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edv

oenophobiac
Reaction score
I make quite a bit of wine from RJS kits...mostly 16L CruSelect and some WinerySeries.
Over the last 10 years or so, the kits have been fine.
This year, however, I've been seeing some minor problems in some kits.

I've had:
A 16L juice bag with the inner bladder leaking, making some of the juice inaccessible.
Yesterday, I started an Aussie CabSav kit, and there was no yeast packet.

Anyone else notice inconsistencies in any RJS kits?

I wonder if they're getting a little lax in their Quality Control. It's kinda worrisome that they'd ship a ~$100 kit without any yeast. That'd be a bit of a head scratcher for someone starting out in the hobby!

Good information and I will keep alert. I make a lot of RJS stuff and I have not noticed a problem. Have you contacted the company? My experience with them is that they are very accommodating and will try to make it right.

Check back with where you bought your kit from. I know this will not help with the quality controll, but as a retailer I stand behind what I sell, I will do what it takes to keep my customer happy then go after the supplier/ mfg. to make things right. :w

I make quite a bit of wine from RJS kits...mostly 16L CruSelect and some WinerySeries.
Over the last 10 years or so, the kits have been fine.
This year, however, I've been seeing some minor problems in some kits.

I've had:
A 16L juice bag with the inner bladder leaking, making some of the juice inaccessible.
Yesterday, I started an Aussie CabSav kit, and there was no yeast packet.

Anyone else notice inconsistencies in any RJS kits?

I wonder if they're getting a little lax in their Quality Control. It's kinda worrisome that they'd ship a ~$100 kit without any yeast. That'd be a bit of a head scratcher for someone starting out in the hobby!
edv:

Having been a retailer selling RJ Spagnols kits from 2001 to 2007, I can tell you that this is not new. I had several packaging errors in their products, and at least a couple of leaky bags. From my point of view, it was not a major issue, considering the number of their kits that didn't have any problems.

I recall receiving a shipment of three kits of the same variety (I think they were Cru Select), and the first one opened had the oak missing. The other two were fine. Biggest problem...took me a month and 3 or 4 phone calls to get oak for the kit.

The leaky bag thing happens with all suppliers. I've seen it with Mosti Mondiale, RJ Spagnols, and Vineco. I've read in the forums about it happening with Winexpert kits.

BTW, that juice is accessible. All you need is some scissors to cut a corner off. That's what I always did. Some folks always cut a corner off rather than opening the spout. They wouldn't even notice this happening.

Guess you had just been lucky to that point.

Steve

I stand behind RJS products as I feeltheyare the best kits out there for the $ but Ive had 1 or 2 instances with that with them but Ive had the same thing with W.E. also. Ive only made a few Mosti kits and Cellar Craft and no problems there yet besides the instructions for Mosti not being that good. RJS each time has remdied the problem more then exemplory!

Steve, I was hesitant to use the scissors trick due to fear of contamination.
And I agree, Wade, that the RJS kits overall are the best bang for the buck.

I've sent off an email to them to see if I can substitute an EC1118 packet from a white kit that I'm going to start next week. I know that many winemakers substitute different yeasts anyway, but I'll see what they recommend.

Steve, I was hesitant to use the scissors trick due to fear of contamination.
And I agree, Wade, that the RJS kits overall are the best bang for the buck.

I've sent off an email to them to see if I can substitute an EC1118 packet from a white kit that I'm going to start next week. I know that many winemakers substitute different yeasts anyway, but I'll see what they recommend.
I have never seen anything other than EC-1118 in an RJ Spagnols kit. Even when they used RJ Spagnols branded packets of yeast, we were told that it was still EC-1118. But I've only made 2 or 3 in the last 4 years.

Steve

All the RJS kits I have made have EC-1118 yeast in them.

Back