Pushed bung into carboy-Wine now tastes like rubbe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry bout that JKsmith...I stand corrected on the potassium and sodium campden tablets.
smiley9.gif
I truly understand your confusion on dosage as the packaging instructions are not clear at all and adding 1/4 tsp of K-meta to kill wild yeast will certainly work but might also prevent many strains of yeast the ability to start fermentation.

I will discuss this issue with George and will come up with a plan to try to prevent future confusion.

Masta and JK, I wonder if this is like the instructions on the Vintners
Harvest Wine bases. They said to use this amount but to dilute it into
a cup of water then add a bsmall amount of that into the must.

This is taken right off the Vintners Harvest Base Label although it has changed alittle since I screwed it up that time.

ON MAKING AND USING SULFITE (SULPHITE) SOLUTION

We make a distinction between using powdered sodium (or potassium)
bisulphite and a sulfite solution. Please be aware of this difference
as it will affect your winemaking process. Dissolve 5 teaspoons of
sodium or potassium bisulphite powder into 1 cup (8 ounces) of water to
make the bisulphite solution. Of this liquid, you add one liquid
teaspoon per gallon of must (unfermented juice) when directed. Use 1 to
2 teaspoons of liquid solution per gallon of water to sanitize
equipment.</font>

JKsmith said:
Go to the Online store here and read the photographed labels on both the LD Carlson 1lb package of k-meta as well as na-meta. On the label, they clearly list the dosage rates for k-meta as 1/4 tsp per gal and on the na-meta they list it as 1/4 tsp for 5 gal. That's where I was getting my figures from. Also, you will see that George sells campden tablets made from both types. So, now I'm more confused than ever. If they are supposed to basically be interchangeable, why such a disparity in the labeling? Why does the na-meta appear to be 5 times stronger? HELP!!!!

Maybe George can check the labels and see if they still say that- sounds like a mistake. According to the larger size packages 1/8 teaspoon per gallon give 150 ppm, so 1/4 teaspoon per gallon would give 300 ppm- way too high. If that is divided into 6 gallons, you get 50ppm-the desired rate. Even commercial wines aren't supposed to exceed 75 ppm sulphite.

Ha! I hear ya. That's how I feel right now too except I can't blame my screw up on anything other than myself!!
smiley36.gif

Let me just say once again how appreciative I am to EVERYONE for all of the constructive and courteous comments made concerning my issue. I have learned, and continue to learn on a daily basis, so much from all of you. What a great place this is and what a truly outstanding group of people contribute here. Thanks so much everybody!!!!!!!

I would say it gives the wrong information for normal dosage rates from everything I have read. The key here is that is says "to kill wild yeast add 1/4 tsp per gal of must" which will certainly work.
Sit tight until we can get more info on the labeling and reasons behind it.

This question came to me before Christmas, but LD did not get back to me until today. That "1/4 per gallon is a mis-print",it has been corrected and should read "1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons" for either Sodium Meta or Potassium Meta.

I was unaware that the picture I have aslo has the incorrect infomation. I will correct it this week and I apologize for this confusion. If anyone needs a credit for a bad batch of wine, please contact me in a email.

wade said:
So they are both the same and not one higher than the other, huh!

Yes since the difference in the amount of sulfite that is added is so small (7-8%). They both are equal in ability to sanitize and as a wine additive so the only real difference is the price.

Edited by: masta

Back