Pumpkin SG help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
I have 10 lbs of pumpkin meat in my 2 gal primary. Trying to make 1 gallon of wine
Jack Keller site sayes to use 5 lbs but people say that is not enough.
I have a different recipe that calls out 4 lbs. I have see people say you need about 10 lbs so that is what I am going with.
The differance between the recipes I have are
The water to add 6.5 or 7 pts.
The sugar to add 2.5 or 3.25 lbs. On Jack Keller (3.25) site it the sugar is high.

I want to get the SG to 1.085 but my question is how do I measure it?
I have a Hydrometer and know how to use it. But If I just put the water in the holder for the Hydrometer I will just be reading the SG in the water and will not account for the sugar in the pumpkin. I can not take a reading in the primary becuase it is not deap enough for my Hydrometer.

I'd fix the pumpkin so it's cruched enough to be like a thick soup then take a reading in something like a tall thin glass or vial

Pumpkin has very little sugar, just take the amount of water you need for the recipe you are using, get it to a boil and add the sugar needed which can be calcultade buy using the link below which is a fermentation calculator. Click on the sugar tab and adjust the numbers to the quantities you need and want. Go justy a little lowerdue to the additional pumpkin like if you want an sg of 1.085 to start with then go like 1.070 and add everything together with the pectic enzyme and let it sit for 12 hours and then extract a sample and test before adding yeast .
http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/fermcalc_applet.html

Latest posts

Back