Pumpkin Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
I made pumpkin Wine a couple years ago, It did not turn out at all. Since then I have thought of several things I think I should have done differently and am thinking of trying it again but could use some advice.

Should I cook the pumpkin first. Last time I did not.

Last time I used inverted brown sugar, Would cane or corn sugar be a better bet?

Last time I used 10 lbs/gallon of peeled shredded pumpkin meet from smaller pie pumpkins. I am assuming that is good amount and the best pumpkin to use?.

I placed the shredded pumpkin in a pail with water nutrient, energizer, sugar and pectic enzyme for a day, then added K-meta. 24 hours later pitched Red Star Montrachet yeast and finished as normal.

Any thoughts? I really think by baking the pumpkin first it should convert some of the starches in the fruit to sugars the yeast can use.

I think you have a good point about baking the pumpkins. I used canned pumpkin and I know that is cooked before it is put in the can and it came out very well. So I would say yes, baked them first and yes to the pie pumpkins, no to the brown sugar and corn syrup and yes to cane sugar. And don't know if you thought of this but I put spices in my to replicate a pumpkin pie. It was so awesome!

thanks for the input Julie
If the queen of country wines liked it then it's worth another shot.

I made pumpkin wine last couple of years from alot of unused carving pumpkins ( say approx 8 pounds or so )

I gutted the insides and saved the seeds and quartered them and froze them and let them thaw and ran it thru my crusher into the primary fermenter according to jackkeller receipe (I am sure I used more pumpkin than it called for and I did use just simple sugar )
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques53.asp

no extra spices - so it was a very light fruity wine - loved it !!
Looking foward to it again this year when they drop or give them away

steve

Latest posts

Back