Pumpkin are Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
Here's one for you. I was speaking to a friend of mine not long ago who wanted to make some pumpkin wine. However, he wanted to use the pumpkin itself as the primary fermentation container. He said that he had heard about it and that you just needed to rough up the walls of the pumpkin with a fork so it would soak up the juices. We talked about it for a while and even looked for a recipe that uses the pumpkin for the fermentation process but couldn't find one.

Have you guys heard of this? Have any of you tried it and if so, what were the results? I wasn't sure if the pumpkin wall would last 5 to 10 days soaking in fermenting juices. If any of you have a recipe on how to do this, we'd love to give it a try.

Monty

Well for starters

You will need a very LARGE pumpkin just to make 1 gallon of wine

I would suspect that the pumpkin will rot during the process

Could be why you can't find info on doing what you explained.

I remember seeing that somewhere as well. I just can't think of why this is a good idea. I would just cut the pumpkin up and use the fermenter.
VPC

These are the same arguments that I offered my friend. But he said he'd still like to give it a try just for fun of it. I guess we'll have to wait until the pumpkins come back into season and see what happens.

Monty

tepe said:
Well for starters

You will need a very LARGE pumpkin just to make 1 gallon of wine

I would suspect that the pumpkin will rot during the process

Could be why you can't find info on doing what you explained.

Where I'm from, that would be considered a small pumpkin- probably only an 8-10 inch pumpkin would hold a gallon plus. Many of the thicker skinned and fleshed pumpkins could probably work, but I wouldn't stretch it past a few days- and even then I would be afraid it would spoil. Then again for a unique wine, it wouldn't cost much if you had your own pumpkins- but if you had to buy it, then a pail would be cheaper!

Maybe we can get Scubaman to mix up a batch of his $5 wine in one!
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back