Pulp From Grape Pressing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterof

Reaction score
OOPS Title should have been Pulp From Grape Pressing
Sorry

What are some good uses for left over seed and skin pressings
from red grapes
Can they be used in a compost
Would the seeds take root if they were used as compost
That would not be good

Now along those lines
I used frozen grapes that arrived in a 7 gal bucket
When it came time to transfer from primary to a carboy to allow for some gross
settling, I found the method of using the wooded press very labor and time
consuming, then the clean up is not really something to cheer about
There has got to be a fast and efficient way to press the pulp that is also
fast to clean up.
What do other people do when it comes time to press the pulp

Last edited:
I have been composting for years, and never had a single vine pop up.
I like to compost them and then use that on next year's tomato crop. Tomatoes seem to love it.

Another thing could be to scoop up a couple of Ziploc bags worth, freeze it, and use it if you decide to make any batches from bucket juice.

You could also take your skins, add water, sugar, and acid, and make a second run of wine. You may be a little disappointed in the results, but hey, it is better than nothing and very cheap to make!

Mine's usually muscadine pulp, goes in the compost pile, and results in some vines sprouting. That's unusual, because muscadine seeds are hard to get to germinate. I don't know if it's the yeast eating away at the seed hull, or freezing weather, or the fact that I freeze the grapes before making wine.

Grape seeds require some sort of scarifying to germinate well. This can be either through scratching lightly with fine sandpaper or freezing. Acid can also eat the seed coat a bit and that it why they germinate after being eaten by a bird or mammal. Heat (as in a good hot compost) may adversely affect them so a good compost may render them unviable, but one that does not reach hot temperatures may let them sprout. Gary that is why yours may sprout while others have a hard time. Muscadines may not get enough freezing to let them germinate in all areas.

Asteroff if you want to return them to the garden, be sure they have been thoroughly composted at a high temperature (although young grapes are easy to remove).

Not sure what you mean by wooded press.......basket press? homemade press? other?

Wooden Press

It is a Prago Fruit and Wine Press
Kinda squirts out the side and then is a mess to clean up

It is a Prago Fruit and Wine Press
Kinda squirts out the side and then is a mess to clean up

Slow it down a bit and that should cure your squirting problem. (Boy, did that ever sound wrong :) )

Seriously, if that happens, back off the pressure a bit and let the juice run. Then slowly and gradually apply pressure. It is a bit of a slow, tedious process that way, but it is a lot cleaner.

Find a bag the right size to fit over it (plastic) snug but loosly . Remove the bottom of the bag first. That will make a splash guard for it. You can buy the bags for larger presses so maybe they make them for that press also. The squirting juice hits the bag and runs down into the collection tray. Try to use a bag that is food safe.

Slow it down a bit and that should cure your squirting problem. (Boy, did that ever sound wrong :) )

Seriously, if that happens, back off the pressure a bit and let the juice run. Then slowly and gradually apply pressure. It is a bit of a slow, tedious process that way, but it is a lot cleaner.

Agree with boatboy. If it is squirting out the sides, it is because you have too much pressure applied. Slow down, and go low and slow.

Like my grandfather always said, a little pressure and time is how gems are made.

Compost or garden is were mine go, after making a batch of skeeter pee with them.

Difference from Kits and Grapes

WOW, we finished the final ferm and stabilization last night
Transferred to the aging carboy.
Tasted it prior to putting into long term storage
The difference is amazing. What we have here is a Merlot my wife says
is close to the commercial ones she buys at the store. And she drinks a lot of
Merlot. Now I am stuck on using real grapes, so need to punch out some more
"BOAT" money (Bring Out Another Thousand) to buy a crusher. I will stick with
the press I have and use the cellophane idea, cause that sounds like a winner
Were on a roll now
CYA

Asterof,

Welcome aboard my son! Using real grapes (IMHO) does make a difference (not to belittle kits).

This is where it all starts. Your wife loves it, so will your friends and other family members. I predict that you will be simply amazed at how fast your wine goes "bye-bye".

I hope you do not mind, and if I may, I'd like to suggest that now it is time to consider a couple of things..

I kindly suggest that, at this point, you decide on exactly what you want going forward. Do you see yourself making larger volumes of wine in future? Do you see yourself needing to scale up? If so, how much?

I say this because I bought my equipment in stages and it ended up costing me. There have been many times where I wished I just got something big enough to handle future jobs.

Take my press for example. When I started, All I had was a 5 gal press. I then purchased another 5 gal press when the one I had could not keep up with demand. What I should have done was purchase a bigger press to start with (like the one I have now). I wasted over $600 on those two presses.

Another example is crusher/destemmers. If you are currently only doing a handful of lugs, you might be tempted to purchase one of those cheaper, hand crank models rather than a motorized stainless steel job. If you scale up, and only have a hand crank, I can guarantee that you will wish for that bigger model.

So I say, buy big! Take what you think you need and ask "can this handle double the amount, triple?". If you spend the money now, you very well may save a lot in the long run.

(Stepping of the soapbox now)

I get pressed cake from a local winery and freeze it and use it bump inexpensive kits or weak looking juice. It has worked really well for me

Back