Pruning different training systems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not tried that yet Greg as I just came up with the system a few years ago. I could imagine it would be a lot of work, but it should be possible.

Great pics Rich, especially appreciate the MGDC. Looking forward to a YouTube where we actually see you doing the pruning!

Great to watch your place come together, Rich. I wish you could ship to me. Nice to see the dream taking shape.

Olusteebus - "I am thinking of using something similiar to the modified GDC for Muscadines. Would the upper and lower cordons be too close together for Muscadines? Anyone who grows Muscadines have an opinion?"
Muscadines are very vigorous growers where I live. I prune shoots that are 8 to 12 feet long off some of my vines. I wouldn't consider having a cordon directly beneath another cordon on a muscadine. Your climate, soil, etc may be different. I'm using a regular GDC about 5 to 5.5 feet tall. However, I'm new at it. I do know that I see a lot of other muscadines on a single wire about 5 feet high.

Somebody had asked if I had pictures of the vines with a bit of foliage on them. If you go back to page 1 I have added them to their respective type. I am posting them here also, but if you go back you can compare early growth to those systems. The first is VSP, then TWC,Scott Henry and then 2 of Modified GDC.

vsp.jpg

TWC.jpg

ScottHenry.jpg

ModGDC.jpg

ModGDC2.jpg

Joined the site today, Hoping to learn a lot (Already have really). These before and after's are fantastic.

I'm in the 2nd growing season now (planted bare root last April). Due to a hectic spring, I was a little late and then a little rushed in my pruning. Now that the wines are leafing out pretty well, I know i'm going to have to do some further pruning/cleanup.

The pictures all appear to be fairly established vines. I'm curious for my vinyard, how much of "this years" growth should i leave in my cleanup. I didn't do the best in rubbing out buds and felt i should make sure i got decent bud break. I'd like to go back and leave 2-3 (?) of the new vigorous canes to grow this year. The majority of the vineyard will be VSP with a few TWC. How early should i be training these cordons? I assume now is the time to be leading them onto their respective fruiting wires?

I may have some questions on some slow to break buds (possibly damaged?) and growth near the grafts for some. I'll be doing some pruning looking for green stems and getting some pictures to start a new thread. Thanks!!

You can either train the shoots onto the wires as is or cut the trunk just below the wire. That will force 2 new shoots to grow and will point both directions to train as cordons.

Latest posts

Back