Proper temperature for Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
I have a few different wines going thru the stabilization process in carboys. One batch from grapes. One batch from juice and another from kits. Can anyone help me understand the proper temperature to keep the wine at in the carboys during these processes? Such as... After fermentation but while in malolactic fermentation? And after malolactic fermentation but I bulk carboys? I realize the big reds will stay in carboys for a year or so.... What temp should they be kept at? And the same temp for the whole year? Obviously after bottle they will go into cellar temp.... But I am confused up until that point.

If you can keep your temp up to fermentation temps for Malo to easily do its job is best. Too cold or too warm it tends to struggle.

For bulk aging I like to keep mine as cellar temp. Could range from 60-65. Again too hot or too cold could cause some issues. For bulk aging it isn't only the temp that matters but needs to be consistent or close to. Large temperature fluctuations could lead to issues

Back