Problems adding Oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hi - This is the first time using a carboy as you all know. I just stabilized my wine and was going to add the oak chips in a mesh sock and found I can't fit the oak chips through the opening. I was going to transfer the wine back to the plastic fermenter and add the oak, but I can't lift these things from the table to the floor, and I really don't want to age this wine in a plastic bucket. If I just dump the oak in, will I have trouble bottling with clogging issues, or should I forgo the oak and maybe add essence when bottling which I don't really care for - please HELP!

Last edited:
You can add directly to carboy. They don't interfere when you rack later.

Thank you - Well - I managed to squeeze the sock through the opening. I really wanted to tie it to the airlock and have it hang there, but I had to slowly twist the sock till it finally fell into the wine - It'll probably sink and that's fine by me but it is going to be a real project getting that sock out when it is time to clean up.

Also see an unusual amount of sediment after degassing - Like an inch and a half on the bottom, and I was real careful not to get too much sediment from the bucket...I guess when I bottle this I can leave the bottling hose half way down the carboy and keep dropping till I reach sediment and then stop.

Last edited:
I would suggest that next time wait until past the second racking to add oak. cubes also work well and you will not need a sock. they eventually sink to the bottom.

I would suggest that next time wait until past the second racking to add oak. cubes also work well and you will not need a sock. they eventually sink to the bottom.

OK, and thanks for the input - I honestly didn't know there is to be a second racking. Unless I read directions wrong, and who follows directions anyway :), it says to degas and wait 14 days or so and test for clarity and bottle? So, what do I have to do, rack back to the bucket? I only have one carboy and that's all I thought I needed.

Also - after degassing this wine I am seeing the plastic piece in the airlock being pushed up but not bubbling. I am hoping that is CO2 escaping? I degassed with a wand and electric drill for 2 minutes per package so I don't think it is still fermenting at this point, but what do I know??

I rack every couple months until it is absolutely clear. I never bottle before at least 6 months.

I rack every couple months until it is absolutely clear. I never bottle before at least 6 months.

I have heard that people do that, and I have heard some that don't, and let the aging be done in the bottle, but I get your point about racking several times to get clarity - I don't think I can do that. I would have to get help lifting these buckets and carboys from floor to table/table to floor. My back won't allow it...It is that bad, so I will let it sit in the carboy for longer than 14 days if needed, check clarity, and when I feel it looks good in a glass, I will bottle. Eventually all sediment is going to the bottom anyway so I have to be careful not to disturb it with the siphon and bottle filler. Thanks for the input....

Hate to mention this but you're going to have to get that carboy up off the ground in order to siphon to bottle it. Maybe look into the All in One pump system offered here or a liquid pump like the sur flo pumps used in RVs for Potable water if you can't.

Mike

Hate to mention this but you're going to have to get that carboy up off the ground in order to siphon to bottle it. Maybe look into the All in One pump system offered here or a liquid pump like the sur flo pumps used in RVs for Potable water if you can't.

Mike

Hi Mike - I got past that part already - Happened to have a friend over and we got it up on the table. The bucket was easy to lift, but the carboy has extra added weight due to the glass and is a bit clumsy. So, what's your opinion on racking several times? If the wine is good and clear after a month or so in the carboy it is in, what's the point?

I've gotten to the point where I bulk age both my grape and fruit wines 9 to 12 months before bottling. I've been at this for about 3 years now and understand being excited about wanting to get it bottled. I'd almost suggest you do bottle it just to have the first hand knowledge, and see for yourself how much sediment will continue to fall out of the wine for quite a while. I also find I'm not so temped to get into it when it's still bulked. Regardless of when you bottle, this is your first batch, I believe, and I'm pretty sure you'll learn a lot and want to do things differently the next time around. It's all part of the fun of this great hobby.
Mike

I've gotten to the point where I bulk age both my grape and fruit wines 9 to 12 months before bottling. I've been at this for about 3 years now and understand being excited about wanting to get it bottled. I'd almost suggest you do bottle it just to have the first hand knowledge, and see for yourself how much sediment will continue to fall out of the wine for quite a while. I also find I'm not so temped to get into it when it's still bulked. Regardless of when you bottle, this is your first batch, I believe, and I'm pretty sure you'll learn a lot and want to do things differently the next time around. It's all part of the fun of this great hobby.
Mike

Well Mike - it is the first time using a bucket and carboy but I have been at this for some time now using other methods.

It seems most like to bulk age, so why not do it right?
Thanks for the input. I assume I need to add some more K-Meta after each racking?

Well Mike - it is the first time using a bucket and carboy but I have been at this for some time now using other methods.

It seems most like to bulk age, so why not do it right?
Thanks for the input. I assume I need to add some more K-Meta after each racking?

JoeCal,

I find that racking polishes my wine, so it gets nice and clear. Every time you rack, you get the fine lees out. You can rack to your primary, rinse out your carboy, and then rack back into it.

A pump will definately save your back!

The bulk aging is where you need to add kmeta, most folks add 1/4 tsp every three months or so.

Bulk-aging has lots of benefits. Another bonus for bulk-aging is that the wine will clear and degass on it's own during the aging. You don't need to add any clearing agents when you go that route, so it's one less chemical in your wine.

I saw your notes on oak above. Its fine to just stick it in the carboy. I like spirals rather than chips, because they are easier to get out of the carboy and reuse.

Good luck!

Heather

JoeCal,

I find that racking polishes my wine, so it gets nice and clear. Every time you rack, you get the fine lees out. You can rack to your primary, rinse out your carboy, and then rack back into it.

A pump will definately save your back!

The bulk aging is where you need to add kmeta, most folks add 1/4 tsp every three months or so.

Bulk-aging has lots of benefits. Another bonus for bulk-aging is that the wine will clear and degass on it's own during the aging. You don't need to add any clearing agents when you go that route, so it's one less chemical in your wine.

I saw your notes on oak above. Its fine to just stick it in the carboy. I like spirals rather than chips, because they are easier to get out of the carboy and reuse.

Good luck!

Heather

Thanks Heatherd

Everybody has added some nice ideas here. I am at a great point for asking questions because I just racked for the first time and going to let it sit a bit, then either go buy another glass carboy, or go back to the primary and then back to the carboy. Great people here and I appreciate it! I never made a bad wine, but I this one is going to be the best because of patience.

a good rule to follow on racking, especially when making fruit or grape wines but it also works for just juice, is the law of threes. Rack three days after racking into secondary, this remove the gross less, which contain dead yeast and particles of grape or fruit, these can impart bad odors and taste to the wine. rack again in three weeks, fine sediment should occur by this time. finally rack again at three months. add appropriate amount of K-meta on the second and third rack. add oak after three month rack. due taste test so not to over oak, rack again and bottle.

I agree, age it out. I'm getting better at this patience thing. Or maybe it's the make more wine than I can drink and it just piles up on me! I have the all in one pump and the reviews don't do it justice. If your obsessed with making wine like most of us here than you'll get your money's worth out of the pump. I also have a brew hauler if I need to move a carboy around. Makes it a little less awkward. Looks like this ImageUploadedByWine Making1439323211.501202.jpg

I agree, age it out. I'm getting better at this patience thing. Or maybe it's the make more wine than I can drink and it just piles up on me! I have the all in one pump and the reviews don't do it justice. If your obsessed with making wine like most of us here than you'll get your money's worth out of the pump. I also have a brew hauler if I need to move a carboy around. Makes it a little less awkward. Looks like this View attachment 23973

Thanks JimmyT - My patience is getting better by the minute - I have 28 bottles of Nebbiolo I am waiting for just bottled 2 weeks ago, and I have Cabernet Sauvignon waiting to be bottled, and this Pinot Noir, the first time using the bucket Carboy, and this one I am going to age. The All in One pump??? I can't seem to find it or the cost? Worse comes to worse, I have friends that can help lift these things...Patience is the key~!!!!

http://www.allinonewinepump.com

I'm sure Steve would be more than willing to help you with anything you may need to about his product(allinonewinepump). His customer service is second to no one!

Look in the sponsors section also. Might find a deal on the brew hauler from one of the sponsors!

Last edited:
@ JimmyT

Thanks for your kind words !!
It is always nice to hear how the Allinonewinepump can help in your winemaking process.

@ JoeCal1952
I do have a video on my website that you can get a real idea oh how this product can help you in your process. If you want feel free to PM me with your phone # and I will try and answer all the questions or concerns you may have .

Latest posts

Back