Primary Tutorial

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
Is there a tutorial for primary fermentation? It seems most recipes are vague in this area since, I presume, most hobby wine makers are well versed in this area. Being a noob, I find myself scratching the thinker when I'm deciphering fermentation. For example, I'm following a cranberry recipe and, again being a noob, it doesn't mention dissolving sugar in heated water, I did disolve it, but was that a mistake? Other questions I have, when do you check SG? I would really appreciate it if someone can point me to a tutorial, if there is one, for such basic things a noob may not know.
P.S. Sorry I haven't changed my avatar
smiley29.gif

skinnydipper said:
Is there a tutorial for primary fermentation? It seems most recipes are vague in this area since, I presume, most hobby wine makers are well versed in this area. Being a noob, I find myself scratching the thinker when I'm deciphering fermentation. For example, I'm following a cranberry recipe and, again being a noob, it doesn't mention dissolving sugar in heated water, I did disolve it, but was that a mistake? Other questions I have, when do you check SG? I would really appreciate it if someone can point me to a tutorial, if there is one, for such basic things a noob may not know.

Reason to heat water it will disolve the sugar better. Take readings all through out the process to see what stage you are in. Also when you have a ? you can tell us where you are in fermentation and your gravity. Remember make a record of what and when you do anything.

I will back up tepe's answer but add that if you are using fresh fruit in your primary then go a little shy on your SG when you set it up and dble check right before adding yeast. Sometimes if you are using very ripe fruit and lots of it the sg can shoot up a bit more from the extraction of the fruits sugar.

skinnydipper said:
P.S. Sorry I haven't changed my avatar
smiley29.gif

Nothing at all wrong with dissolving the sugar.

Add half of the sugar, check S.G. and keep adding sugar incrementally, checking S.G. each time until you get it where YOU want it. Heed wade's advice when using fresh fruit though. It will boost the S.G., if even slightly, when it starts to break down so it's best to set the S.G. slightly below your target. Check it one more time before you pitch the yeast and adjust if needed. Once you pitch the yeast, Check the S.G. at least every other day at first and then more and more as you get close to your target. I usually end up checking 2 or 3X per dayonceI get to1.020 and rack to the secondarywhen it hits1.010. After that you can slow down to once/day until you're sure it has stopped.

Your best tutorial just may be right here on this forum.

BTW, I actually like the avatar
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the responses. I guess I have been doing everything correctly, for the most part. It's a little nerve racking since it will be so long until I "know" I did it right.

Latest posts

Back