primary on day 8

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

C

captain

This is my first batch and I am now on Day 8 and reading 1.024. kit says check daily until bactch reads 1.01 or less. Question is if this takes 3 or 4 more days, that is a lot of wine loss to cap off at fining. Do I use water or do I use a like wine???

Second question is should I add a little additional Camden to the batch as I move it to the carboy??

Any help is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpfan

Reaction score
First, what kit is it?

Second, what is the temperature of the wine? I suspect it is too cool.

Third, instructions are a guideline. You can skip a couple of days if it is fermenting slowly.

Fourth, I assume you are drawing a sample and either drinking it or tossing it. I sanitize my equipment, draw the sample, and return after testing.

Fifth, I would not add extra campden at that stage, unless the instructions tell you to.

Steve

C

captain

thanks for the help, I do not have the brand of the kit with me. the directions were a little confusing about if the kit included the camden in the first packet or not. I am now drawing a sample for the last 2 days but I read an eairler blog that said you are better off not dumping it back into the primary.

cpfan

Reaction score
by the way Cpfan, love the icy wine from your area.
Should be a good crop of it this year from both BC and Ontario. Might reduce the prices. Why do I doubt that?

Oh well, it's too sweet for me.

Steve

cpfan

Reaction score
thanks for the help, I do not have the brand of the kit with me. the directions were a little confusing about if the kit included the camden in the first packet or not. I am now drawing a sample for the last 2 days but I read an eairler blog that said you are better off not dumping it back into the primary.
Decent (my definition anyway) kits include potassium metabisulphite (aka K-meta or campden). Follow the instructions for adding it, as instructions vary company to company, and even within a company.

Steve

Manimal

Reaction score
If you sanitize your equipment, there is no reason you can't dump your sample back into the fermenter. When it comes time for topping, try to use a similar wine or sanitized marbles or something similar to displace the lost volume. Adding water is a cardinal sin in my opinion, unless it's necessary to dissolve an ingredient being added.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I like to extract wine to dissolve any added ingredients.

cpfan

Reaction score
Instead of dissoving powders in water, he draws a sample of wine and dissolves the powder in that.

Steve

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha, and that makes a whole lot more sense than the water method. Thanks again for a bit more instruction ,well noted. Misunderstood fore a second, tried to speed read.

Troy

Latest posts