primary on day 8

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

captain

This is my first batch and I am now on Day 8 and reading 1.024. kit says check daily until bactch reads 1.01 or less. Question is if this takes 3 or 4 more days, that is a lot of wine loss to cap off at fining. Do I use water or do I use a like wine???

Second question is should I add a little additional Camden to the batch as I move it to the carboy??

Any help is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, what kit is it?

Second, what is the temperature of the wine? I suspect it is too cool.

Third, instructions are a guideline. You can skip a couple of days if it is fermenting slowly.

Fourth, I assume you are drawing a sample and either drinking it or tossing it. I sanitize my equipment, draw the sample, and return after testing.

Fifth, I would not add extra campden at that stage, unless the instructions tell you to.

Steve

thanks for the help, I do not have the brand of the kit with me. the directions were a little confusing about if the kit included the camden in the first packet or not. I am now drawing a sample for the last 2 days but I read an eairler blog that said you are better off not dumping it back into the primary.

by the way Cpfan, love the icy wine from your area.
Should be a good crop of it this year from both BC and Ontario. Might reduce the prices. Why do I doubt that?

Oh well, it's too sweet for me.

Steve

thanks for the help, I do not have the brand of the kit with me. the directions were a little confusing about if the kit included the camden in the first packet or not. I am now drawing a sample for the last 2 days but I read an eairler blog that said you are better off not dumping it back into the primary.

Decent (my definition anyway) kits include potassium metabisulphite (aka K-meta or campden). Follow the instructions for adding it, as instructions vary company to company, and even within a company.

Steve

If you sanitize your equipment, there is no reason you can't dump your sample back into the fermenter. When it comes time for topping, try to use a similar wine or sanitized marbles or something similar to displace the lost volume. Adding water is a cardinal sin in my opinion, unless it's necessary to dissolve an ingredient being added.

Instead of dissoving powders in water, he draws a sample of wine and dissolves the powder in that.

Steve

Gotcha, and that makes a whole lot more sense than the water method. Thanks again for a bit more instruction ,well noted. Misunderstood fore a second, tried to speed read.

Troy

Latest posts

Back