Primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfboy

Junior
Reaction score
I have just started a new batch of DB and have my water, lemon juice, fruit and pectin in my [food-grade] primary. I have not added any other chemicals or ingredients. I intended leaving the fruit in the pectin for 24 hours before adding the other ingredients and yeast. By the way, the fruit was from frozen and thawed in the water, before adding the pectic enzyme.

I now realise that once I add my sugar and other ingredients and it begins to ferment, I don't have enough headspace! I tried looking for a suitable container today but I can only find grade 5 (PP) containers that are not food safe (basically a pink bin!)

It may take a day or two to source a suitable food grade container of about 35 - 50 litres.

Should I add some Kmeta in the meantime, to stop any nasties from forming, or indeed could I use a non food grade container safely for the first couple of days of primary fermentation, until I can transfer into a 'proper' one?

thanks in advance!

Hi surfboy

I think you should add the kmeta which will give you about 24 hrs before you have to add the yeast. In that time you should search out something else. It seems you are not in USA or I'd suggest Home Depot for their Brute commercial food grade garbage cans or even their white buckets as a quick inexpensive temporary fermenter. Maybe an empty juice container or two? Look thru your food and beverages, you might already have something. A large container that had margaritas in it would work well also.

Hope this helps

Pam in cinti

Thanks for the reply Pam.

Yes I am in the UK so Home Depot is not an option. However, the company I work for uses a supplier that deals with Rubbermaid and therefore Brute products. I think I can get the grey 38 litre container which would be perfect.

It may take more than 24 hours, so I have added some Kmeta (actually I have sodium meta) and I'll get something as quickly as I can!

WOW, lucky to have that connection. Brute is the only garbage can I know of that is food grade. Many of us use them as primary fermenters. I love my 10 gallon ones the best, awesome size to hold 5 gall of juice plus a good bunch of my backyard fruit. While you are at it, you might as well get several diff sizes. You will use them a lot.

Glad I could help.

Pam in cinti

I would start the fermentation. After it gets going, remove a gallon to another container - large pot? After another two days when fermentation has settled down, you can add it back.

Alternatively, remove a gallon now, put it in a sealed container in the fridge. Pitch the yeast. After the sg has declined by 50%, add the reserved gallon.

Latest posts

Back