Primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mr. Wonderful sent me on an errand today to find a bucket for our primary fermenter. The ones at the LHBS cost around $25 or so. I live in the Salt Lake City valley, where there are lots of home food storage stores. Do you think I could find a bucket bigger than 6 gallons?!? Noooooooo! (Did you sense the incredulous sarcasm in that 'no'?) I have checked our local classifieds numerous times looking for a used bucket, to no avail. So our options were to buy from the LHBS or find something similar. I have checked Home Depot, IFA, Industrial Container Supply, etc. with no luck.

After driving back and forth across the valley at least 3 times, I finally found a 10 gal. garbage bucket at a local restaurant supply company. It is food grade quality, and I got the bucket and lid for about $20 after tax. Needless to say, I probably spent more on gas driving around today than I saved on the bucket, but godblessit I got me a primary fermenter!

Next time Mr. Wonderful can go straight to........the LHBS and spend the dadgummed money!!

:) Welcome to a wonderful hobby. Remember, this is about fun, so cost and time aren't to be considered.

Think about the cost of a nice bass boat, trailer, truck to pull it, fuel, maintenance, etc.

You're getting off CHEAP, plus you get something to drink! Eventually :)

Mr. Wonderful sent me on an errand today to find a bucket for our primary fermenter. The ones at the LHBS cost around $25 or so. I live in the Salt Lake City valley, where there are lots of home food storage stores. Do you think I could find a bucket bigger than 6 gallons?!?

If there is a next time looking for a primary, try your local bakeries. They will probably give you the buckets the frosting comes in. Clean the bucket out good, do a bit of thinking and split the ingredients in two. Add to two buckets and you are using a 10 gal. fermenter. Not much cost, more winemaking tools for less. LOL, Arne.

I agree with Arne--we even have some buckets that pickles came in and after cleaning they are fine.

Nothing wrong with the trash can approach!! We have several 10 gallon ones for smaller ferments and to thaw frozen fruit in,and then several 32 gallon ones for large ferments.

There is a grey colored "trash can" at big box stores, I think it is a 32 gallon, maybe a "BRUTE"? It is food safe. Have also found on Craigslist these 20 gallon lugs that are round & come up to your knees or so. They have handles and snap on lids....guy sells them for $10 when he has them. I always find them when I search for "gallon"--though I know CL will vary from area to area.

If you're going to pay for a bucket anyway, pick up a couple of juice pails! You'll get wine grape juice and a couple of fermenters as a bonus.

There is a grey colored "trash can" at big box stores, I think it is a 32 gallon, maybe a "BRUTE"? It is food safe. Have also found on Craigslist these 20 gallon lugs that are round & come up to your knees or so. They have handles and snap on lids....guy sells them for $10 when he has them. I always find them when I search for "gallon"--though I know CL will vary from area to area.

Highly recommend! The Rubbermaid Brute is stamped food safe on container and lid, and that's important to me. Available in 20-gallon (effective to about 16 gallons of must) and 32 gallon (effective to about 28 gallons of must) at Home Depot. Great value for the money! If you want a white one, you can order that from H-D online, though you will pay shipping.

I used measured amounts of water in mine when I first got it, shined a flashlight through the inner wall so I could see the levels on the outside, and used a wide felt-tip marker to mark off 5, 10, 15 gallon levels, etc. It makes it much easier to mix up a must to a certain gallonage that way.

Bakeriers are also a good place to get pails in 3- to 5-gallon sizes. There are no juice pails available in my region.

Well, here it is. Our primary fermenter! It is currently filled with WE's Spanish Rioja kit, started two days ago.

Liking the ideas you all are giving me. I'm thinking that we might have to pick up a 5 gallon bucket or two for when we want to experiment a bit, or when I want to make a wine that Mr. Wonderful isn't interested in. I could make a smaller batch. I love the idea of trying new things, but don't want to commit to a large batch in case I flub up. I can take good notes, and make a double batch next time if we like it!

Primary Fermenter.jpg

Rosa.jpg

Silly question I guess but how do you fine folks go about racking out of a 10 or 20 gallon Brute? They don't have spigots. Where do you find a long enough racking cane?

30-inch racking cane, although a 24 will work in a pinch. I got mine from forum contributor Doug at Brew and Wine Supply.

www.BrewandWineSupply.com
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back