Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

articwater

Junior
Reaction score
New to the game, looked for this answer but figured I'd ask the experts: Any reason why a bucket is used for the primary fermenting rather than going straight to the glass carboy? The obvious answer is convenience while mixing, pouring etc. Any other reason I'm missing?

Thanks
Warren

Easier for oxygen to get to the yeasties

easier to stir / punch down the cap

anyone else can add more......

Buckets don't explode if the fruit clogs the airlock (disclaimer: this has never happened to me, but the thought made an impression).

Don't forget the foaming - different yeast/grape combinations can foam more than others and you may end up with a nice sputtering mess as the foam travels up through the airlock and bubbles in a sticky mess down your fermenting carboy (like this).
You could, however, split the batch into to two carboys to help accomodate for this (look at bottom picture).

- Jim

More head space for the foam. Also they are much larger that a 6 gallon carboy. The carboy will not have enough space for the "foam"

It's hard to stuff grapefruits, oranges, lemons apples (you get the idea) into a carboy. Even harder to get them back out!

Great answers. GUess I forgot about the foam, and the fruit, and the mixing.
smiley9.gif

Brewgrrrl said:
Buckets don't explode if the fruit clogs the airlock (disclaimer: this has never happened to me, but the thought made an impression).

Nice tip, exploding carboys are bad.......

Back